Chapter Ten- Gossip isn't always bad

• Dedicated to My High School

Chapter Ten- Gossip isn’t always bad

The excitement in the air was palpable as the Winter Ball drew nearer. Christmas trees sprung up all around the school and every class was given the duty of decorating one. That led to the inevitable petty squabbles over who would get to decorate the tree in the ‘hot’ locations such as the main foyer, the General Office, the cafeteria and so on.

But nothing could compare to the tree in the Great Hall. Unlike the other trees, this one was real. All nine metres of it. This year’s theme was ‘Blue Blood’ so the tree was adorned with all shades of blue of hope. From cobalt to cerulean to azure. It was beautiful. Lots of shiny purple and silver baubles were used too. One, because purple and silver looked good with blue. Two, silver reflected light, so it scored high points for the economy, as it saved the number of bulbs needed. Also, purple was the colour of love and tender memories. Squeal!

All around the Great Hall, decorations were being put up by the teachers and the twelfth graders to transform this place into a Winter Wonderland. The doors were being shut now. They weren’t going to let us sneak any more peeks until the ball arrived.

I reluctantly turned away and strolled down the corridor as the twelfth graders started shooing people out of the hall. Everywhere I heard girls shrilling. One typical conversation was as such.

“OMG! Do you know? The Valentino dress? From the winter collection? The navy blue one I liked? My aunt bought one for me!”

“Really? OMG! You mean the off-shoulder one? With the centre ruffle detail at the ruched bodice?”

“The one with the tulle skirt? The gathered, layered A-line skirt? ”

“Yup, with a bow at the natural waist!” Squeal!

Gosh. How did they know the exact details of the dress just from the colour and brand? Incredible. And the ball was one month and six days away. I hadn’t even begun to go shopping yet. I had better made a note to go someday after the election.

And the boys at the other side of the corridor were definitely not losing to the girls in the gossip department. They congregated in masses with the hottest news of who was going with whom to the ball. They were no less excited. At least, there weren’t so many squeals.

“Hey Lena,” someone called.

“Hello there,” I smiled and turned around to find Kat and Alice walking towards me. “How was class?”

Kat rolled her eyes. “Boring. The teacher could barely get a word in because the girls were too busy talking about the ball this, the ball that. It drove me crazy. Now, we’re laden with homework because nothing was done in class.”

I chortled as we entered the cafeteria, bought our food and sat down at our usual table, waiting for Danielle to join us.

“Speaking of which, have you two bought your gowns yet?” Alice asked.