Chapter 1- Molly's @ 5:00

"Nuh-uh, sorry sweetheart but there's no way you're 21," was the first thing Grace heard as she sat down on a stool at Molly's, the firefighter-owned bar in Bucktown. The hopeful look on her face turned to defeat as she set her wallet down.

"C'mon, I won't even attempt ordering a drink, I promise." she protested. "Please?" Grace raised her eyebrows and quickly looked around the place; it was empty.

Herrmann sighed. "You good with a pop?" he asked, trying to hide a sympathetic grin.

"Coke, please." she replied and took off her navy parka to reveal a knit turtleneck sweater tucked into a pair of dark jeans. Her smooth and straight long, dark brown hair contrasted against her pale, youthful face. She could never pass for 21, but she wasn't a tween either. She set her worn black leather chelsea boots onto the footrest of the barstool.

As Herrmann placed her drink down in front of her he asked her a question. "You from around here?"

"Yep." she nodded, knowing he was genuinely curious. She took a sip of her Coke and decided to indulge him. "Beverly," she said confidently.

Herrmann was surprised. "Mm..."

"What is it?" Grace asked.

"Nothin'" Herrmann smirked.

"What about you?"

"Canaryville."

"Oh you don't say...my brother grew up there. Half brother, I mean. That's who I'm meeting here. CFD and CPD are close right? You might know him."

Herrmann nodded in acknowledgement as he began to stock the shelves. "He's a cop? You're not in any trouble are you? I don't have a standoff happening in my bar." he said, half joking.

"No, not this time," she laughed. "He's helping me out with something." Those words sounded familiar. She glanced around the bar and took in the old firefighting memorabilia.

"As long as it's not Hank Voight you're meeting, we'll be fine."

Grace's expression changed to worried once she eyed the clock. 5:14 pm. He was late.

"Did you say Hank Voight?" she asked, the mention of the name capturing her attention.

Herrmann was just about to answer when all of a sudden, the door to Molly's opened and in walked a familiar face from C.P.D. 's Intelligence Unit. He went right up to the bar and quickly greeted Herrmann with a nod.

"Hey, Grace." Adam Ruzek said, sounding a bit nervous. He turned towards her and leaned against the bar top.

"Hey. You're late." she replied, annoyed.

Herrmann took that as his cue to check a shipment in the back. Adam waved him "thank you", for keeping his sister company while she waited.

"I know, I'm sorry about that. I was working a case near the south side. Let's grab a booth." Adam pointed over to the left. Grace got up from the bar and followed him over. "So can you tell me what exactly is going on?" he asked once they sat down across from each other. "You calling was sort of out of the blue, as in the last time I heard from or saw you was 10 years ago."

Grace got right to the point. "It's about Dad. I think he's involved in something...y'know, shady. Which, in Chicago is an easy thing to get sucked into, I've learned."

"Oh yeah? You're barely in high school. And he's a cop. What do you know about his work? And shady people for that matter." Adam chuckled.

"First of all, I am in high school. A Junior. Second, I guess you could say I listened closely to a couple of his phone calls, and third...it's Chicago, Adam." Grace replied.