Chapter 9- Molly's at Christmastime

Grace was at her father's, helping him get settled back in at his house. He'd been discharged from the hospital early that morning and Grace was the one who drove him home, since Adam was working. She planned on staying until lunchtime and then had to race back to Adam's to help set up for the Christmas party he was hosting later. It was finally starting to feel like Christmas, and what made her feel even better was the sudden disappearance of late payment notices.

"Here you go..." Grace handed her father a cup of tea, fresh from the kettle. "How's the pain?"

"It's mostly soreness. And I feel weak," he scoffed.

"The doctor said if the painkillers aren't helping, to call him. Do you feel warm? He also said if you have a fever—"

Bob interrupted her. "I'll be fine, Gracie. Thank you, sweetie," he kissed his daughter on the cheek. "You'd be a good doctor, you know." Grace then went to wipe down the kitchen counter.

"I cut ties with that client," he revealed. "McDowell is his name. James McDowell. I told him I was done."

"...It's about time." Grace said. "Did you tell Adam?"

Bob waved the idea off. "He's busy right now, and I'm sure you'll mention it to him."

Grace laughed. "You sure? You're the kind of person who likes to be face to face when telling news like that."

"I just want it to be over already..." Bob trailed off. Grace didn't mention it again.

Grace poured herself a cup of tea and checked her text messages.

"How's the new job going?"

"Aunt Kristine mailed a Christmas present to dad's instead of your new address. I can drive up at the end of this week and drop it off"

"Does today work?"

"If you're working I can drop it off at the house"

"Hello??"

Those were just a few of the texts Grace sent to her mother over the past week that were left unanswered. The longer she looked at them, the more frustrated she became. Colleen could ignore her daughter electronically, but she couldn't pretend if she showed up to her house.

"Are you ok if I head out? I told Becca we'd go Christmas shopping together."

Bob nodded, "This isn't my first rodeo," he replied, meaning getting shot.

"Remember, if you're in pain—"

"— I will call the doctor," he finished, grinning at his daughter.

Grace said goodbye and drove an hour and a half to McHenry and as she pulled into the driveway of her mother's rented house, something seemed off. The car was covered in snow, as if it hadn't been used in weeks and the mailbox was overflowing. Grace tucked Aunt Kristine's package under her arm and went and knocked on the door as a courtesy. After no response, she barged inside.

"Mom?" she called out. No answer. "Hello? It's me...your daughter."

When she got to the living room toward the back of the house, the sight of her mother zonked out on pills and booze almost brought Grace back to a place she hadn't been in years.

"Mom?" she said quietly.

Colleen looked up at her daughter in a total daze, and smiled, "Hi baby. I missed you."

"What...what's wrong? What's going on with you?"

"Nothing, I'm...I've just been relaxing." Colleen eventually made sense after a few tries.