Chapter 9 - Vanishing Act

I sat there, waiting for Eyeless Jack and Masky to return. I couldn't hear Masky's voice, and Eyeless Jack's message pad was still here on the leather chair, so they aren't using that to communicate with. I had no idea what they needed to talk about, but one thing was for sure; it had become eerily quiet while I waited. There weren't even any woodland animals making noise outside. No birds to chirp, no squirrels to chitter, and no foxes to...scream at you, I guess, since apparently that's the sound they make?

Either way it made me uncomfortable by how still everything had become.

It felt like ages had passed, yet neither of them had appeared back through the door. The wind blew harshly, sending a few leaves fluttering in through the window. I pushed myself off the bed and strolled over to the broken entrance. I bent over and stuck my head through the shattered glass, peering out to the world around me. All I see are dying trees and rotting grass. Nothing more, nothing less. For all the action that's been happening lately, it sure is calm and serene now. Which felt very anticlimactic after the mini chase sequence I just lived through.

I stepped away from the window, deciding I had seen all I needed to. I began pacing around the room, holding my chain with me so that it didn't get tangled around the bed while I marched on without purpose. The hellish screech of the chain becomes little more than background noise when compared to my busy mind.

I looked down at the digital watch that is now adorning my wrist. An hour had passed since they excused themselves to the hallway.

What kind of conversation takes that long? And why can't I even hear faint whispers? I know Masky can talk, so why can't I hear his voice? Even if his voice is too faint to hear, there should at least be an audible rustling of clothes or shifting of feet as they gesticulate and converse.

Right?

Masky's footsteps were loud and heavy earlier, why would they be so faint now? It's complete silence that I'm standing in, the only respite I'm granted is the wind rustling the dying branches of trees touched by decay.

I check my watch.

Another hour passes. Nothing.

??? Whatever.

I grab a book and move it somewhere on the bed, I take my bag and drape it over the metal bar near the head of the bed's iron frame. This carries on for a while. Just me milling about as I continue to move objects around without reason, idly shifting things from one placement to another. I needed something to keep myself busy.

I glean back to the watch. Another hour. Okay, this is ridiculous. Any concern I had about interrupting them has now vanished like a puff of smoke from a cheap magician's stage-show act.

I stand up from my place at the foot of the bed and walk over to the door, which still hung open. I stick my head out from the safety of the room, hoping to catch sight of either one of the masked men I had been collecting.

The hallway was entirely barren, though. There weren't any signs of Eyeless Jack or Masky anywhere, save for what looked to be a small piece of white paper folded up and sitting on the barren floor.

It looked to be placed there meticulously, although in a hurry. I step closer to it with confusion filling my chest, the only thing that took up extra space was the faint tinge of fear echoing through the pounding of my heartbeat. Once I was close enough, I stooped down and grasped the frail off-white sheet. It looked worn, crumpled and crushed as if it had been sitting inside a pocket for a few days. I was almost afraid of opening it, for fear that it would tear and fall to dust between my fingertips.

The writing was done in pencil, and was very faint and hard to see. Thankfully, after a moment of focusing -and changing my stance so that the daylight hit it better- I could make out what it said.

'There's an emergency. I have to leave with Masky. Will be back in three days. Someone will come by to leave you food tomorrow. If they show up during the day, hide and stay quiet until they leave. Stay safe. -EJ.'

I pause, feeling a few knots slowly tighten within my stomach.

He left? Just like that? Where did he go? What kind of emergency is this? What could be so drastic that he couldn't even come back into the room and inform me of this himself?

I know there isn't much I can do about him suddenly leaving. I mean, what am I gonna do? Haul an entire bed with me as I go chasing through the woods to catch them? The same woods that house dangerous creatures strong enough to break an entire tree into splinters? No thank you.

And what of Eyeless Jack? He might as well be a Cryptid in his own right, what with the things I've seen him do. I'm beginning to doubt that he's more man than monster.

I shook my head, banishing the thoughts.

Stressing out isn't going to help me here. I take in a deep inhale and slowly release it, compelling my nerves to change their matter from flesh to steel. Three days, that's all you have to get through. It's just three days! You don't need him around for everything, he'll be back before you know it! And supposedly you've got food coming tomorrow, so it's not like you'll starve without him. You'll be fine!

At least that's what I'm going to tell myself. If I don't actually believe it, fine, but I'll fake it until this whole thing is over. Because, truth be told, it's already getting late. I'm worried about what might show up in the middle of the night. It's comforting having him around, with how strong he is. At least I knew he wasn't going to hurt me. So, I've been relatively safe whenever he was around. Not to mention, the company was nice. Being trapped in a strange place is easier if you've got a companion.

I flinch, suddenly realizing the thought that just popped into my head.

I think I'm losing my mind all over again.

Perhaps sleep will remedy this odd train of thought. I turned and threw myself on the bed, instantly regretting my decision when my body collided with the mattress stiff as a rock slab. It felt like swan diving into a patch of concrete, the residual wave of momentum made a shock-wave of pain shoot into my teeth.

I rolled onto my back, my hands cupping my mouth as I writhed in pain. I think I'm going to need a dentist after this.

My eyes opened once more, casting their gaze upon the dull and chipped, off-white paint peeling from the ceiling, revealing a very unappealing smoke-singed gray beneath the surface. I'm still very concerned about what might find me here when left alone. Eyeless Jack already had to fight off one creature to keep me out of harm's reach. Who knows how many more might get a bright idea in his absence? And I know there haven't been any more encounters -aside from Masky-, but more could easily come out of the woodwork. I'm also a bit afraid of whoever or whatever is going to be bringing me food tomorrow. That'll surely be an experience if my introduction to Masky was anything to go off of.

I mean, I know I don't have a choice in the matter but the unknown is going to eat away at me until the moment of truth arrives.

I roll onto my side, trying to get comfortable but ultimately failing. This bed should be considered a torture device, it's so unbearable. I'm fairly certain the floor would be more comfortable than the bed. I toss and turn, and roll about a bit before getting frustrated and sitting upright. I swing my legs off the bed and reach out to the black bag I had left sitting on the leather recliner.

I open it up and grab the bottle of pills hidden inside. I pop off the cap and fish one slender capsule out of the orange container. I place it on my tongue and swallow it dry, an act I rather hate doing. But this is better than risking exhaustion when such a large unknown is meant to make an appearance in the morning. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and that means being well rested. I will not risk letting my insomnia get in the way tonight, especially not when this uncomfortable bed is proving to be such a hindrance already. I then turn to the digital watch and set the alarm for 8:00 AM. I've never actually set the alarm for this thing, since my phone has proved to be a great alarm clock in of itself. But I don't have that here so, watch time.

Once I know everything is set and ready to go, I curl up on the clunky mattress and pull the blankets over my shoulders. I let my eyes wander out the window, watching dead leaves get kicked up by a gust of wind and spiral around as if they were dancing. Eventually, I feel the effects of the medication begin taking effect as my eyelids grow heavier and heavier. Before I realize it, they're too heavy to open again.