10. Snap

BOOK OF BILLY: 2011

Chapter 10: Snap

I stare wide-eyed at the aging doc. His silver hair stands on the back of his head as if he hasn't bothered to comb it when he came into work this morning. Or maybe he never went home and crashed on some patient's bed because of me. I just hope he doesn't keel over and die while examining me. He hacks up something severe and goes over to the bin. And I thank God I can't turn my head because of the brace, or I might catch him spit. Gross!

He walks over to me, again trying for a smile that doesn't quite reach its destination. Behind him, my parents enter the room, eyes sullen red, their faces dark. What the hell is going on? It was just a minor bump. Just a minor bump. Right?

My mum quickly comes to stand by my bedside as the doctor turns to address them.

"Ah, Mr and Mrs Amour, I was just waiting for you so we can have that important chat with Billy in your presence."

My mum squeezes my hand. I squeeze it back. My chest feels heavy, and I can see the jagged beats of my racing heart on the EKG machine. They've turned the stupid thing enough so I can see it. Stupid people! I feel dread, worse than that time I got sent to the principal's office because I hijacked Mrs Rams' biology class. She made one too many mistakes and I couldn't just sit there quietly and let it slide. Obviously, no one appreciated my efforts to help her, not Principal Williamson, nor Mrs Rams. This felt worse. Waiting for the doctor to tell me and my parents just how 'naughty' I'd been and on my birthday, no less.

Here goes. Dr Shun heaves a long breath and refers to my charts. I bet he doesn't want to meet our gazes. This is how I know whatever he is about to say is bad. Real bad. My throat feels dry and I try to swallow. Like it'll do me any good?

My dad, usually a happy-go-lucky fellow whose exuberance for life gets on my nerves, is standing sombre by the foot of my bed. I catch his eyes, finally. He forces a small smile on his face and steps forward, placing a hand on my leg.

I stare at his hand. Why can't I feel his touch? Or the weight of it on my leg? What the fuck is going on?

I shoot a panicked look at Mum. She shakes her head, full of remorse. I don't want effing remorse. I want an answer. I demand an answer! What the hell is wrong with my legs?

I turn back to Dr Shun, trying to steady my nerves. "What's up, doc?" I manage as best I can. My voice dry as fuck.

I crack a goofy and wait. I've always wanted to say that line, but maybe this circumstance isn't the 'right moment'. Mum gives my hand another squeeze — her way of telling me to brace myself, I guess.

"Why the long faces?" I attempt humour again, and my dad's composure cracks.

"I can't. I can't do this." He glances at Mum, tears stinging his wise eyes. What the...? I've never seen dad cry. Not my dad! "I'm sorry Elsie!" and with that, he rushes out of the room.

"Please," I beg. "Someone tell me what is going on!"

Dr Shun nods and turns squarely to face me. "Son. There is no easy way to say this." A pause. I hate the pause. "You severed your spine in the lumbar region. You know what that means? I'm told you're a very smart young man."

Of course, I know what that means. My spine is in two pieces, dingbat! And... "I'm paralyzed from the hips down?"

Dr Shun nods. "I'm afraid so. You sustained further internal injuries, broken ribs, punctured spleen, multiple leg fractures, and a broken wrist, along with contusions to your head. We will monitor you closely for the next few days."

"To see what? Whether my spine miraculously heals itself?" I spit bitterly. I don't mean to.

"Billy," Mum reprimands me softly.

My eyes sting with tears. I try to shake my head, to get rid of them. Boys don't cry. Boys my age, don't cry. But they just come — out of my control. My vision blurs.

"Mum!" I whisper, unable to say 'help me'. "Mum!"

"I know baby, I know." She caresses my hair, her own eyes filled. She kisses my forehead. "It'll be okay. You'll see. One day, it'll all be okay. We'll be okay."

Dr Shun pats my other hand. "I'll come by later to check on you again. If you have questions, or thoughts, ask. We're here to help you as best we can."

I can't even look at him as he goes. How's he going to help? Put me on some miraculous stem-cell trial research to heal my injured spine? That tech is probably years away. Years!

I'm thirteen. I'm fucking thirteen! I can't be a cripple at my age.

I can't deal right now. I can't breathe.

I'm suddenly envious of dad and his ability to run away from this. I wish I could.

God! I wish I could. Do you hear me? Are you there? Help me. Please, God! HELP ME!!!!