thirteen | candy

*.*.*.*.*.*

October 4

I don't see Riley anywhere the next day and wonder if she saw the picture I sent her. If she did, she didn't reply, and since her read message alerts are clearly turned off, I can't be sure whether she's seen Carlos with the other girl or not. As far as I'm concerned, she should really be opening her eyes now.

It's strange, to be honest, how much we're worried about her when she has simply refused to even let us be a part of her life. She sits with her new friend and has even distanced herself from the classes we have together. She either doesn't come to class, or when she does, she sits across the room from us so that we have minimal chances of even making eye contact.

"Maybe we should stop," Racheal says at last as we file through the double doors towards the football grounds. "She's probably happy with Carlos and whatever new style of life she's chosen for herself."

I shrug. "Well, I've tried my last attempt," I tell her. "Nobody can save someone who doesn't want to be saved."

Marla nods in agreement, handing me a bottle of water and a packet of crisps from the vending machine. I grab them, winding my arm through Marla's so we don't get separated in the crowd. We're one of the last students heading out and I'm inwardly hoping I can find a way to skip on the game today. Not only does the noise make my head pound after a while, my back hurts from sitting too much. Getting up for the bathroom is even harder when you've crazed football fans sitting on every side of you and yelling at the top of their voices.

My eyes catch sight of a long creme-colored coat whipping into the boy's bathroom and I frown. Unless I'm hallucinating, I'm sure the guy who just vanished into the stench-filled stalls is Shane.

Maybe Fridays are going to be the only times we meet.

Realizing this might be my chance of having another interaction with him -- not that I want to interact with him but doing so doesn't hurt -- I pull my arm out of Marla's.

She raises her eyebrows and turns to look questioningly at me. "What?"

"I have to go to the bathroom," I lie. "Be right outside."

Marla nods, taking Racheal's hand. "I'll text you where our seats are when we find some."

"Kay." I wave a little as they disappear out of the door.

I wait a few moments until I'm sure there's no one around and those already gone aren't coming back. I pray to the lucky heavens to ensure there aren't any other guys in the boy's bathroom. Getting caught sneaking in behind Shane is embarrassing enough. Finding him with other boys in there will only make things more awkward. Not to mention give birth to way too many rumors.

I stop in my tracks, frowning. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm doing it. I shouldn't follow him. I have no reason to. Wouldn't it be better to just wait for him outside or simply go on to the game instead of wanting to know what he's doing?

It's a freaking bathroom, Tay, what do you think he's doing in there?

Mentally smacking myself in the face, I shake my head. I turn away from the bathroom, noticing before I look away that the door has is slightly ajar. Curiosity gets the best of me and I look around me before shifting closer to the door. Peeking in, I see Shane standing with his right side towards me at one of the basins, a small orange bottle in his hand. As I watch from my hiding spot, he pops open the lid and drops two pills onto his palm.

I freeze, staring at him as he tosses both the pills into his mouth and lifts the bottle of water next to him to his lips. He takes a couple of big gulps and puts the bottle down. Clutching the edges of the basin, he bows his head as he exhales a few sharp breaths.