Chapter 52: Drummer Boys Are Progressive

I'm pretty sure this is the song they dance to later in the chapter.  It describes the way Bodie feels about Marley perfectly.

Bodie

Damn, Mama.

Marley is walking down the stairs, her eyes on her footfalls, an expression of concentration on her lovely face.

I'm glad she's not watching me watch her.

There is something so beautiful about her unawares.

It's not her outfit—a long wrappy kind of skirt and a white lacy halter top—is that swimwear or a camisole? Either way it fits her like a glove and contrasts with her gorgeous glow.

But no. It's not the clothes that makes her breathtaking.

It's not even her sexy tan, her blown out hair, her dew-kissed makeup.

It's not her body, her smile, her snorty laugh, not even her brain.

It's her lack of pretension.

This woman has no idea that she is the complete package.

Gorgeous. Strong. Commanding in her presence. Gentle in her love.

Trace thinks he has himself a Marianne del Marco, but honestly? Marley reminds me much more of Marianne that Kat.

Kat will be his rebel princess until the day she dies.

My woman? She's a Queen.

Elegant and enduring.

Her loveliness will never fade.

She looks up at me now, and then...she trips on the very last step.

I catch her before she falls on her face.

Well, to be fair, she's maybe a little more elegant without the five inch heels.

She makes that snorty, sexy laugh.

"Sorry. These sandals—"

"Are the perfect excuse for me to get my arms around you. And bonus, now your lips are right here at mine." I press mine to hers, mindful of the makeup.

She sighs and relaxes into my embrace. I feel all the tension go out of her spine. I grin.

"I haven't even hoo-dooed you yet with my fantastic boyfriend skills. But if you ain't gon' make me work for it," I duck and hoist her over my shoulder, "I'm just gonna take you right back upstairs and get down to it..."

She whoops with laughter and beats me on my back. "No! Put me down! I want the date night, you fool! I haven't been on a real date in three years!"

I don't put her down. Instead, I carry her out to the driveway, where Tesla has been freshly washed.

"Your carriage, my Lady." I open the door while she smooths her hair and straightens her tiny top.

She moves to sit, but I catch her hand. "Wait...I want to say..." I move right up against her back. "You look incredible, Jasmine."

Her eyes rake down my ripped jeans, white tank, and open black button down with sleeves rolled up.

"Thank you. You look too good to be true."

I slide a hand up her bare back. "I'm true, Mama. You can count on that."

She gets a shy grin on her face as she gets in the car.

"So...about what you said...being true...we haven't really talked about that."

I wrap my fingers in hers. "I didn't think we needed to. But if you got questions, lay 'em on me."