Chapter Five - Remembering Home

I miss my family.

I'm ending my second week of living alone on this God forsaken planet. Cynthia has given me company, but it's not enough for me. I miss my family. I miss humans.

I was very close with my family when I lived on Earth. My mom, dad, little sister, and I all got along well. When I left for college, I visited them almost every chance I got. They were sad when I told them I was leaving to go to Aquaertus, but most of all they were beyond supportive and proud. I wonder if they heard what happened to the USS Pertempto yet. I hope they're alright.

My mom is a selfless woman. She was always thinking of my sister and I and almost never did anything for herself. We had to force her to take time off and relax. Although it irritated me, I'm grateful for everything she's done to help me get through school work, drama, and my life in general.

My dad is the most hardworking and determined person I know. Without his constant support and encouragement, I would've never been as successful as I am. He never let me quit trying, no matter how much I wanted to. He helped me get back on my feet every time I fell. He's the reason I've been strong enough to stay alive.

And my little sister, Layla, is so imaginative and loving. She's only 10 years old, but she's a creative genius. She sings, draws, paints, plays guitar, writes, and involves herself in every theatrical production she hears about. I don't know how she manages to find the time for all of it. She's my polar opposite; I love logic, reason, and science, while she loves art, imagination, and emotion. Sometimes we don't get along, like most sisters, but our contrast is what we admire in each other. I could never be as talented as Layla.

My family has taught me to be caring, confident, strong, and thoughtful. If I didn't have them, I'd probably be homeless or dead right now.

And Lou. Sassy, smart, beautiful. What isn't Lou? She is, or was, in her late 40's, but she was still my best friend. At home, I had some friends in college, but I was never as close to them as I was with Lou. She was a biologist, similar to me. We were both passionate about learning all life has to offer, even if it wasn't within our galaxy. We bonded through our shared love of knowledge.

She was a genius; whenever I had a question, Lou could answer. She was a renowned professor at Harvard before she was invited to be the Lead Research Biologist on the USS Pertempto. She's my idol, I want to be as successful as her someday.

She never had children of her own, but she called me her honorary daughter. She admired my dedication to learning and took me under her wing. I acted as her assistant during the months we spent on the USS Pertempto. We spent hours together, discussing what life could be like on Aquaertus and how it would differ from Earth. We became extremely close after a few weeks. I consider her family.

I start to cry, clutching the bracelet on my wrist. I may never see my family again, and I've lost Lou forever. If rescue is coming it won't arrive for at least 3 months, and if it never comes I'll have to figure out how to live on my own.

I haven't allowed myself to mourn my losses yet, too focused on survival. Now that I'm in a comfortable place and I have time to spare, I can use it to grieve. I cry until I'm too exhausted to move.

I have to survive. I can't let down my family. I will get back to them, no matter what it takes.