Chapter 3- Drunk Mom

It was Saturday the next day, waking up I realized that I had completely forgotten about my boyfriend. He was supposed to show me his new baseball bat. We were going to go out to the batting cages after my tutoring session with Serena. I open my phone to check the time. 8:19am it reads. Below the time were a flurry of texts and missed calls from Cam.

Where are you? I've been outside the school for 30 mins

Are you okay? I went home... Txt me pls

It's been an hour. I just wanna know if ur okay!!

I throw my phone down, unsure if I was unhappy that I forgot my date with Cam or if it was because my dad never came home. With the light piercing into my eye from the window, I get up and make a cup of coffee for my mom and me. I grab my phone from the random spot on the floor and continue to acquaint myself with anything else I missed.

A text from Serena reads Hey are you okay? I just wanted to make sure that you were okay since you left in such a hurry

I smile. It felt nice knowing that Serena thought of me and texted me to see if I was okay. I text her back in an instant Not really... I'll tell you more about it on Monday. See you at math tutor?

I continue to glance at my phone every so often as I bring up the coffee to my mom. She smiles lightly when the smell of freshly brewed coffee hits her.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry about last night. You shouldn't have seen me like that." My mom explains with regret in her tone.

I hand her cup to her replying with, "No its okay. Do you know where Dad is? He never came home last night."

"No. He probably stayed at work or is on a business trip."

I roll my eyes and add on "Or screwing someone else".

My mom chuckles, seemingly amused by my comment, which she rarely is.

My phone buzzes a couple minutes after a nice quiet silence with my mom. It was a text from Serena Yeah I'll see you tomorrow.

I give off a little smirk and my mom notices.

"What was that? A smile? It is Cam?" She asks.

"No it was Serena, a girl I'm math tutoring at school. I just asked if we were going to meet again on Monday." I reply.

My mom nods and shakes something off. "You just finish those community service hours alright. You need to graduate. And after you're done, you can stop. You need to focus on your university applications."

"I see normal mom is back." I reply. "I'm almost done anyways. I've done it for like six days. So I have 12 hours. I'm almost done, don't worry."

School begins again on Monday. To be honest, I was thankful. Without my Dad, my mom had nobody to argue with so she used all her free time pestering me about university. I walk into school and head to my locker. Waiting there was Cam. I walk over, anticipating the annoyance I would deal with for the next five minutes.

"Hey where were you? Did you forget? Bail? Are you okay?" He asks with a concerned but impatient tone.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. My mom called. I didn't even get to tutor. Honestly I forgot." I reply, trying to sound more sincere than I was.

He nods and understands, "Is she okay? Your mom I mean."

"Yeah, my dad is just... Well you already know so." I clarify.