~Thirty Eight~

#Unedited.                         

Dedicated to all readers who made this 20k + reads possible. Love you guys 💖❤️

                           ~Jade~

               Zee✨: Hey Baby
               Zee✨: How're you?
               Zee✨: I've missed you.

I stared at the messages. Was I supposed to feel relieved, happy, glad that my runaway sister has reached out to me? Because all I felt was anger. She started typing something else and I turned my phone off. She was supposed to be here. I was supposed to be in her room right now gisting her about today. About the fact that I held the hands of the guy I like, about the fact that I hugged him and all but I couldn't. Why? Because my favorite person in the world left home for weeks without checking back on me and now, she has the nerves to tell me I've missed you. I've missed you?

What a joke?

She was the one who left without a backward glance, without a hug, without a note, without nothing. Delinquents ain't supposed to miss those they left behind. I don't even care whether she comes back or drops messages again. I stopped missing her.

I miss her. A whole lot.

And that hurts. I felt something wet on my cheeks and I wiped it off angrily. I was fast becoming a cry baby these days.

I woke up in a shitty mood the next day. Zee had completely ruined my mood. I dressed up for school and when I got downstairs, someone was assisting mom in setting the table.

Fatima.

I hissed underneath my breath as I sat down. I had completely forgotten about her.

'Good morning to you too.'

She said and I glared at her. She shrugged and sat down to eat. Mom came out of the kitchen with fried plantain and she dished out our food. It was white rice and plantain, one of my favorite food but I did not even feel like eating it. I had no appetite. I managed to swallow like 5 spoons before standing up.

'I'm leaving for school now.'

I said and mom looked up at me then at the food.

'But you've not even eaten anything.'

'I'm not hungry mom.'

'There is no way I'd allow you to go to school without eating the most important meal of the day.'

I inwardly rolled my eyes.

'But mom....'

'Daughter, sit down and eat.'

And that was how I had to force the whole meal down my throat.

                             **********

Look on the brighter side of life, think of a thousand reasons to smile, think of how intoxicating Uthman's smile is, think of how you felt when you hugged him, think of........

I bumped into Michelle in the hallway and her face tightened into a scowl when she saw me. I started to walk away.

'Hey'

I heard her call out but I ignored her. She grabbed my hands and pulled me back.

'Did you not hear me call you or are you going to ignore me?'

'I just ignored you'

I replied to her and freed my hand. She chuckled and folded her arms on her chest, shaking her head.