Number Three. Punishments

The door is locked when I wake up alone the next morning.

It could be locked for any number of reasons, Carter is prone to hissy fits, it could even be that someone is here that he thinks I need extra protection from, could even be some renovations that require me here for longer. He has never been great with communication.

I'm not an idiot though, the likely answer is that he saw me talking with Abel yesterday and is going to try and squash the friendship before it has even begun. It could make some sense, if Abel is only here for the meeting and one mission then there isn't a reason for us to be friends.

On the other end of that, it is a great reason for us to be friends.

Carter has never had massive issues with my interactions with the other boys on the crew, though most of the time he is there to supervise the interaction anyone. It's strange the way he is reacting, coupled with the rough way he claimed me after the meeting yesterday.

The bed was cold when I woke up this morning, and now the locked door glaring down at me as I stare at it.

He is hellbent on keeping me away from this man, maybe his is dangerous but who isn't, Carter could feel threatened, perhaps he heard that Abel and I were talking about my imprisonment in his absence last night.

There's a multitude of reasons to explain his irrational behaviour, my questions would get me no more than my normally prying foes. He's a closed off man and the more he comes home tired and bruised, with a smile on his face, the more unhinged I fear he is becoming.

His eyes shine every time he sees me, and I know that I am viewed as a possession more than a person, but the fact is wherever my parents are, dead or alive, he seems to think I should be thankful to him. Only I don't remember what he did.

It could make sense, considering my unhealthy attachment to him, he hasn't showed outright kindness, but I have never complained, never expected tenderness from such a violent person. I love his rough ways, and his calloused hands as they hold me, the way he fucks, spitting his dirty words at me. Maybe I would enjoy a more sensual experience but all the desire would get me, is a fuck on top of the coffee table.

No one willingly joins the mafia, right?

His family had to of brought him into the business, conditioning him to this life and then dying... maybe at his hands or as he watched, I doubt he even wants to leave. He loves it, even if he was here for revenge.

I have never been able to work out what I symbolise for him, but I must mean something if he doesn't plan on letting me go. The week that proceeded after we arrived at some random house that came before his one was stressful, there's holes in my memories just after the blackout. He seems to think I understand why he is keeping me.

Who would commit a felony to keep little old me?

"You going to tell me why the fuck I have been locked inside all day? I mean the deadbolt, really?" I say loudly, when Carter gets into the suite a few hours later.

"If you don't know, then you need some more time in solitude" He states plainly, loosening the tie around his neck and standing on the other side of our unused dining table.

"I haven't done anything, you fucking psycho!" I yell and my poor choice of words and raised voice sends him around the table before I even realise. Slamming me into the closest wall with a hand wrapped around my neck.

"What did you say?" He asks, cocking a brow and daring me to repeat myself, knowing I never challenge him when he is like this anymore, I learnt it is stupid to even try.

"That you can't keep me in here without telling me what I did wrong, I deserve some communication" I repeats, "...You fucking psycho!"

I don't know where the balls and the anger has come from, breaking my own rules, maybe it's the increasing sense of cabin fever that is sending me into the danger zone that Carter lives in.

"Maybe you have forgotten, but I can do whatever I would like with you" He snaps, fingers closing around my throat tighter than normal. "I don't owe you anything"

I can barely breath and my fear is drowning my fury; I wheeze out what feel like my las words. "You'll kill me!"

"Stay in your place little girl, I will let you out when I see fit" He growls, "And as far as I am concerned, your little conversation is justifiable with a few days in solitary confinement"

"Did you kill him?"

"No, but I can assure you that he will not be coming to play buddy-buddy with you anytime soon"

"Carter" I gasp, "Please!"

My head feels like it's going to explode, my chest burning as I try and get any oxygen I can, everything hurts but feels light. If he doesn't let go soon then he will kill me, I may not love my life, but I have never thought I'd prefer dying.

His hand drops from my neck, taking a step back with a shocking look on his face as I drop to the floor and press my hands against my chest as I try to breathe, my wheezing the only sound around us. There's pained tears rolling down my cheeks my face hot as I lean my head back against the wall, eyes closed I try and focus on inhaling air.

Carter looks horrified as I open my eyes again, he's staring at me with all the possible outcomes swimming behind his broken eyes.

"I-I didn't..." He whispers, his lose for words shocking me more than his anger from before.

"Right" I say softly, disappointment and pain clear on my face, he doesn't even comfort me. Anger morphing to resentment at the fact he has me so convinced of his feelings. I thought he would at least see of I was okay, but he flees the apartment instead.