Chapter 1: Time to run.

September 27th, 1998 11:36 p.m.

"Dad, are you sure you'll be back? The whole city is on quarantine.."

That was you talking to your father. He said he had to do something for work, but you were always cautious because of the whole Umbrella ordeal. You didn't know much, but you wanted to make sure the last remaining member of your family made it out okay. You always sensed that those ads on television didn't seem right, as if it was false advertising.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Now go to bed, its getting late."

You hugged your dad before saying goodbye, watching him walk out that door. You sighed as you looked around the small apartment you and your dad shared. It had never felt more empty to you.

You walked over to your room, opening the slightly squeaking door. You made your way to your bed before throwing yourself onto it. Staring at the ceiling, an ache in your gut said something wasn't right. You just figured it was your anxiety, being worried about your father. You managed to pull yourself together before turning over and closing your eyes, encaving yourself into darkness.

September 28th, 1998

Your eyes shot open at the speed of sound as an adrenaline rush came over you. 

'Must've had some sort of nightmare....I can't really seem to recall it.' You thought to yourself.

You looked at the clock on your nightstand. It read 8:07 p.m.. Guess that sleep deprivation caught up with you. You rolled yourself out of bed, standing up. Stretching your arms and all that, you glanced out the window trying to get a good view of the street, but most of the building next to you blocked your vision. While pondering in thought, you recalled last nights conversation and walked out of your room. Walking to the room next to yours, you saw the door was wide open.

'Huh, that's weird.....Dad always has his door sh-'

Your thoughts were cut off when he wasn't in there. You took in a deep breath and just thought he might be making food for you. You headed to the kitchen area and saw no one. Going through each of the rooms in the apartment, you found no traces of anyone. You stood in the center of the apartment beginning to breath heavily, feeling dizzy and ready to pass out. Where was he? He should've been back by now, he should've tried to call, he should've-

Your anxiety spiral was cut off quickly by a loud sound, almost as if a bomb went off. You ran out to your balcony and looked around. The sky was gray and the air smelled dense, as if there was a fire somewhere nearby. Then a door on your left came swinging open and out came a woman with short brownish hair. You both made eye contact for a few moments before she jumped through a window back through the same building. You saw a window on your balcony that lead to the same area. But before you could even make a decision to follow, a large creature broke through the roof. It stood as tall as the roof itself and seemed very intimidating. As much as you were willing to help, you couldn't risk dying to that thing. Though, it did seem like it was after that lady.

You ran back into your apartment as fast as you could, thinking about what to do. You sprinted to the kitchen, opening up the drawer. You pulled out a decent sized knife with an astonishingly sharp blade. You nodded to yourself before heading to your room. You could hear crash after crash with the ground shaking below you. You knew this building was going down soon, so you needed to act fast. You ran to your school bag and dumped out everything inside. You put your knife inside and quickly slung it over your head- given it was a one-strap backpack and bolted for the door. You busted out the front door and to the hallway. You ran down a set of stairs and there at the end was an exit door. You made a b-line for that door and threw it open once you made contact with it. You were at the end of an alleyway, seeing people flood by with screams of terror. You went out in the open and were greeted with what could be called a war zone.

You knew it wasn't safe there and decided to run. You headed right and down the road, looking around. How did RC get run down this fast overnight? Everything was just fine yesterday, why was everyone dying so fast? Better yet, dying....yet still walking.

You heard commotion behind you and saw a guy in a yellow vest and the same women from before. Then you heard an incoming sound, preparing for the worst. You looked up to see helicopters and the man running up by you, waving his arms, trying to get the attention of the flying vehicles. With no use, the man looked back to see the women coming forward. She was limping heavily, but didn't ask for help at all. Maybe she was the stubborn type? Who knew. The man spoke up, telling the two of you to follow him. You assumed so anyway and followed them from behind. There three of you stood in front of a chain-linked fence, the infected people pounding at it, as if they wanted to come after you.

"Brad! Here they come!"

The lady yelled as the creatures climbed and pushed down the fence, ready to come for you now.

"In here!" 'Brad' said, gesturing and heading towards a building on your left.

You and the lady ran into the building as Brad chucked a floor sign at the enemy, following suit after. The three of you with all of your strength tried to keep the door shut. The lady ran ahead  for a moment and saw a door, speaking up about it.

"There's a door we can make a brea-" "AAHH!-"

There you witnessed Brad get bitten, and bitten hard. You dipped and grabbed a shiv off the floor in front of you, stabbing the creature in the head and pushing it off of Brad. You two managed to get the door closed for a minute, the lady running for Brad. You were in a bit of shock, given you just fought one of those things for the first time but quickly cut back to reality when you heard the two bickering.

"Don't think about it...we're gonna all make a run for it." The lady said, trying to give Brad some sort of comfort.

"C'mon Jill, we know how this ends.."

"No, I don't."

"Are we still a team?"

"Always." 

"Do me a favor and don't fuck up like I did. GO!"

Brad pushed you and from what you now know 'Jill' away from the door. You both got up and sprinted as you hear a soft 'I'm sorry Brad' come from Jill. You two were now in another alleyway, both in shock from what you just witnessed.

((A/N: Hey guys! Galaxy here. Just wanted to say thank you very much for reading the first chapter. It came out a little later in the day than I had hoped, but I still did it as promised :) I'll keep this short so I'll see you in the next chapter! Words: 1,213))