THIRTY-TWO

"monsters are real

"monsters are real. ghosts are real, too. they live inside us.

and sometimes, they win"

*

"And I need those two scrolls on Inferi for next Monday. I'll know if you've copied off of each other, so don't waste your time trying. No skimping out!" Professor Linden instructed his class. They all groaned, but the old Professor shook his head at them. "Stop grumbling. It's relatively interesting."

Sirius nudged Eva. "Yeah, if you like learning about dead guys who attack you," he muttered. She chuckled.

"Now, it has come to my attention that some of you desire extra credit for my class. I know you've been studying for N.E.W.T. examinations and your time is rather short."

Eva began to doodle on the corner of her parchment, vowing that if she ever taught at Hogwarts, her class would never be this boring. Never. Defense Against the Dark Arts wasn't supposed to be taught like History of Magic.

"There is a boggart in a cabinet in the fourth-floor staff room. Anyone who comes with me to help get rid of it will receive bonus points on their next quiz. Let's see what you remember. Anyone who's coming, follow me. Otherwise, class dismissed."

Eva gathered up her books in her arms and glanced at her friends. "I don't need extra credit, but do you want to go anyways? It might be interesting."

"Yeah, it could be fun," James said, grinning.

"Confronting your worst fear shouldn't count as fun," Remus pointed out. "I'm not going. I'll see you guys back in the common room."

"Moony, come on!" crowed Sirius, draping an arm around his shoulders. "It's just a stupid boggart."

"I said no." His voice took on an uncharacteristically sharp edge and his eyes flashed. Sirius realized that he made a mistake in pushing him and mumbled a quick apology. Remus only nodded. He, Marlene, and Peter all departed, leaving the last four to follow Professor Linden with a group of others.

The fourth-floor staff room wasn't generally used, and the state of it clearly showed that. Dust covered everything inside of it, including the windows, which made it hard for light to enter the room. The perfect place for a boggart to live, Eva thought to herself.

Eva eyed the cabinet in the corner curiously as her classmates filed in, wondering what her worst fear would take the form of. She'd never faced a boggart before. They were supposed to learn about them third year, but that Professor's worst fear had been boggarts themselves and she didn't let anyone practice the spell on a real one. Not one of Dumbledore's better hires.

"Right, so who remembers the incantation to get rid of a boggart?" Professor Linden asked as he stood in front of the twenty or so students who followed him up, all from different grades and houses.