Chapter 1 - Part 2

She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling chilly as she waited, but she couldn't hear anything. Feeling disheartened, she turned to walk away, when suddenly the door swung open.

"What— Jess?" The familiar voice washed over her like a thousand memories.

Slowly, she turned to see Myles standing in the doorway with only a pair of jeans slung low on his hips. His face turned from annoyance to surprise.

"I didn't... I mean..." she babbled, struggling to explain what she was doing on his doorstep at such a ridiculous time in the morning.

"Did something happen?" he asked with concern, taking in her attire.

Her lip began to tremble.

His features softened and he reached for her hand to pull her inside. He closed the door as she took in the fact that not much had changed inside the house since she had last been here.

"What happened, Jessica?" he asked as he began to check her over.

"I'm sorry," she breathed, struggling to keep her emotions in check. "Did I wake you?"

It was a stupid question. His dark-blond hair was disheveled, like he had just woken up.

"Yeah." He studied her. "What's going on?" he asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Maybe I shouldn't have come here," she murmured, unsure if this had been a good idea as she took a step in the direction of the front door.

"You're always welcome. Day or night. You know that."

His words uncurled a warmth in her chest and she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Myles. Who was—" A girl appeared in the room with a sheet wrapped around her. Her hair was in disarray, but her eyes were sharp. She was pretty, even with bed hair.

"Who the hell is she?" she asked angrily with unmistakable jealousy dripping from her glare. She put a hand on her hip.

"Jessica is a friend." His tone was short as he threw a look at her, which made the girl clamp her mouth closed.

She didn't look convinced as her eyes wandered back to look Jessica up and down, making her more conscious of her hang-ups about her body. Jessica tugged at the shirt of her pajamas.

"I'm sorry," Jessica mumbled, feeling more scantily dressed with the added attention. Like most women, she had issues about her weight. There had never been a time when she had felt confident about how she looked. Even now, with endless dieting, she hated her small boobs and curvy backside, and she really hated her thighs.

"Go back to bed," he told the girl as he looked back over his shoulder at her. Reluctantly, she followed his request and went back to his room.

"I'm sorry," Jessica felt compelled to say again, wishing she had taken the time to get some proper clothes on. "I didn't mean to cause trouble."

"You're no trouble, Jess." The use of her nickname pulled them together in the way only years of history could.

"Thanks," she mumbled, shifting nervously.

"Do I have to beat someone up?" He raised an eyebrow at her. He was tall and muscular and would have no problem taking on most people single-handed, but to her he would always be the scrawny boy who had smiled at her across the classroom on her first day at school.

Things had changed so much since then. Even he was different. They had all been changed; none of them had come through unscathed.

She shook her head. It was so like him to be protective, it made her smile inside.