20 | F-ck You Rhys Chandler

Chapter Twenty
Jayce Mirella

I wonder what it would feel like. How my life would have looked like if I chose to walk a different path after the death of my father. What kind of things I'd be doing right now at this moment instead of being handcuffed, and taken to a lawyer I hate in order to go through a trial for second-degree murder; something I've been framed for.

I'm twenty-years-old so I would have been in college, my second year most likely if all went well during my first year. If things went differently I wouldn't have met Blue, but I'd probably have those geeky types of friends as my clique. The ones that I used to see talking about their professors, gossiping about what goes down within their extracurricular activities, and fretfully worrying about their grades whenever I used to hit up Fifth Avenue to pick-pocket. Those pretentious kids attended New York City University and thought that they were all that. Of course, they were always my primary targets for pick-pocketing in the afternoon. They chatted and debated like they were lawyers presenting their case to a jury, that had given me an indescribable amount of wiggle room to steal from them. They were never able to see me slip my hands into their back pocket as I snatched their wallets, and whatever other valuables they had into my grasp.

Knowing my father, he would have worked his ass off to make sure I attended the very school that those kids went to if he were alive even if we weren't able to afford it. I was invested in school back then, my dad knew that, and he always encouraged me to do the best that I could given the circumstances that we were in.

He sacrificed everything for me and tirelessly worked hard, he always tried to convince me that he was under no stress but I saw through it. And yet, this is what I chose to do with my life, I know how disappointed my dad would have been. It's too late for me to dwell on it. I'm going to be charged with murder, a fate my father would have never wanted for me. I might as well enjoy whatever time I have left roaming about free before I'm locked up within a surveillance prison with inmates that are portrayed by the media to be the devil incarnates.

It's too late for me to think about what could have been.

I scratch the palm of my hand, hissing softly as the tightly bound cool silver metal cuts, and rubs harshly against my wrists. We approach the sleek elevator doors. The doors slowly slide open, and I watch as men and women alike pour out of the confined space like sardines in their black suits and nicely styled hair. Some glance away from their expensive iPhone to look between me, and my handcuffs with unfiltered judgment while others holding their iPhone next to their ear, once spitting out words rapidly to whomever they were talking to, momentarily stop, and peer at me as they instinctively bring their briefcases closer to them.

The fact that they don't even try to conceal or hide it is the most comical part about it all, I find my lips twitching into a smirk as I laugh to myself. Regardless of these handcuffs, I could have still stolen whatever was in their pockets. I'm that good — not to brag, though that isn't something to brag about. My thoughts are the exact reason why they shielded their valuables thus any room for feeling offended is unwarranted, and admissible.

The last person exits the elevator, her eyes trained on her phone until their not. Moments before passing by me, her eyes meet mine, and she gasps as she looks from my eyes then down to my handcuffs. Upon coming to whatever conclusion inside that blonde head of hers, she jerks away from me like I was something grotesque.

Its been a while since I've seen someone move that fast — I lied, it hasn't been that long but it still managed to leave me questioning if that just happened with my lips pursed. The two officers step into the elevator followed by me, Luna and the third officer came in last. I watch Luna awkwardly rub her right elbow, her eyes cast down for a moment that doesn't last long as she looks back up at me soon after.