Chapter 23

Dave pov

My head hurts, I can barley try to look out of the window without wincing, my left hand is wrapped in a thick cast, great now a broken hand is a bonus for me. I fought against my senses, trying to overlook my deep desire to curl up into a ball and
fall asleep

I could not dare fall asleep, until I see my best friend walk through the door and smack my head calling me stupid, or hug me and ball her eyes out.

I groaned as the pain in my head increased,
the nurse looked up irritated, she did suggest some painkillers to reduce the pain. But I put my foot down and refused them. Don't get me wrong I'm not pretending to be some kind of Macho manwho doesn't feel any pain. The thing is if I fall asleep and Gwen needs me, I cannot help her. I don't believe for one second that this was a random attack, once I see her safe, let the nurse do anything to me.

Fifteen minutes ago Chris, walked out of the door muttering something along the lines of dragging the stubborn girl down here. I hope he does bring her soon.

People often mistake our friendship, they all thought we were lovers with commitment issues that's why we go around with the term best friend.

The truth is, neither of us feel something like that. True we were attached to the hip in highschool and college and well University, and yes you mess with one of us, wish the person death before they encounter the other. Above all this we will and always be best friends. I will never find another like her, and a relationship is something neither of us thought or will think off.

The door opened and I heard a small patter of footsteps, Gwen stuck her head through the door and peeked at me with her blue eyes. I cleared my throat hoping she would get the hint and get closer.

She shuffled into the room and sat down on the chair next to me, looking intently at her shoes.

I rolled my eyes at her behavior and asked "Are your shoes more interesting than your dead best friend?"

Gwen looked up suddenly, her blue eyes
narrowed and hit my hand, causing me to wince.

"Don't joke about dying."she warned her expression promising pain if I even breathe in the wrong direction.

"I'm sorry." She whispered, in a small voice
choking down tears. If I wasn't listening so
carefully I would have missed her voice.

"Look I've been meaning to get that exact words since so long, and when I do get it I can't even gloat." I rambled."You didn't even apologize when you threw my Xbox into the pool, and boy was that not expensive. Then you even tried to put hair color into my shampoo."

"Dave"

"Hmm."

"Shut up."

"Yes, Ma'am" I agreed. She did look scary now. Wouldn't want to get punched, though I should blame myself for putting her in boxing classes in the first place.

"I'm sorry."she whispered her eyes turning glassy. I knew where this was going and it had to stop. Everyone has a different way of dealing with shit in life. But Gwen always blames herself for all that happened. No amount of talking actually got
through her thick head.

"Hey, listen to me once and carefully. This is not your fault, and if you ever think like that. I will never let you touch another jar of Nutella." I warned.

Gwen looked up horrified, as funny as this
sounded she loved her candy and sweets. One day without them she would go bonkers. So the best way to get her to do your bidding is this.

"If it wasn't for me, you never would have to go through this."she said her voice shaky.

"I don't care. If I had to go through this a hundred times I would, because I have you as my best friend." I told her sincerely. It's true I wouldn't give up my friend for the world.