Chapter 11: Past that Pinches

By morning weather turned cold as it drizzled whole night. Sky was all clear with radiant baby blue.

Sound of birds filled the air: chirping, tweeting, and warbling incessantly.

Stepping out of his bathing hut in his black and white checkered cotton sleep pants with towel around his neck, he felt the squelch of the mud beneath.

After making some necessary phone calls, he made himself a pot of coffee and came out with small tray in his hands and newspaper rolled up under his arm .The log table and bench he crafted were his dinning table. Placing the tray on table, he sat himself on the bench and read the front page of a day-old newspaper as he buttered his toast.

The birds were busy around him, not caring at all they want is the worms that have come up for air.

He turned the pages of paper and smiled to find Dawar Shah's picture graced the business page, suit, tie, and all his father's elegance. He scrolled down and it was another picture of Dawar Shah with Mrs. Kaifiya Dawar.

His smile faltered.

Unpleasant memories sink deep and remain like a persistent scar. Seeing the picture his mind ambled away into the murk of the past

Many years ago:

It was a very cozy day in autumn. Sun was shooting its mild rays.

Two boys were playing in their vast garden, in which grass was as lush as some green carpet under their feet.

Their whole house was very tastefully decorated. A whole lot of attendants were there to take care of the house.

"If you catch the ball you'll win!" The 8-year-old boy exclaimed. More likely, he cheered up his 5 years old little brother.

"Ready?" He asked. Little brother nodded his head and his cheeks red with excitement.

"Now," he tossed ball vertically with all his might upward in the sky.

Little brother ran backward while trying to keep his sight on the ball, but the sun glared into his eyes, distorting his view, made him fall on the ground. Ball, on the other hand, landed in the handcrafted decorative waterfall.

The big boy laughed at the scene while little boy sulked as he rubbed off his pants from the backside.

"What's happening here? Why are you laughing at him?" A young woman came closer; with a grim expression, she asked the big boy.

"We were playing!" He smoothly replied but little boy making a pout complained, "Mum, Bro made me fall!"

Big boy's jaw dropped as he snapped turned towards the little boy, "we were playing little bro; why telling lie to mother?"

The little boy shook his head, "I never lied, yes you dropped both me and my ball....me on the ground and ball in the waterfall," he pointed at the spot he mentioned.

Woman's complexion was fair so the freckles were noteworthy things on her face. She was wearing brown color lipstick and eyes were awash with kohl! No offense she was looking quite presentable, but the instant she threw a glare at the big boy was enough to cower him.

"Will you actually tell me your problem? Why do you hate my kid so much?" She shouted.

"No, I don't!" He replied in a small voice, "in fact I love my brother."

"I dare you to argue with me again! It's enough..... come with me!" She dashed forward; her forefinger and thumb darted out and clamped onto his ear like a vice and twisted. "Ah!"He flinched with the pain and grasped her wrist, "mother it's hurting,"