Chapter 22 - Olivia

Nineteen sucks so far.

It's nearly four in the morning and I've done nothing but hurl my guts out for hours. Instead of attending the party my parents planned for me, I'll be stuck in bed while I wait for this food poisoning to pass. Yet that still isn't as crazy as Lucas in bed with me and actually nursing me back to my health.

I have no idea what's happening or what he's doing. He's been going easy on me for a whole week now and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I keep waiting for him to go back to openly hating me and making me wish I was anywhere but here. I'm used to feeling that way. But this? I don't know what this is or what to expect and he keeps taking me by surprise. It's making me nervous as hell.

I glance over at him now and even in the dark I can tell he's awake. He's already an insomniac and it doesn't help that the sound of me throwing up is probably adding to that. I hug the blanket closer to my body while I feel my body tremor uncontrollably and quickly look away when he turns his head to me.

"You're shaking," Lucas observes. His deep voice sounds so loud in the overwhelming silence of the room. I feel it wrap around me and take hold of me, pinning me in place. Making me his hostage.

"I'm f-fine," I grind my teeth together to stop the way they're clinking together. The sheen of sweat covering my body feels like ice. Goosebumps rise all over me and they're almost painful. I clutch the blanket as tight as I can.

"Won't work," He refers to what I'm doing. "How can you trap yourself in your body heat if there isn't any?"

I look over at him again, noting how he's facing me now and raised on one elbow. "Thanks. That f-fixes everything."

The dark makes it hard to see his expression but for a moment it looks like he smiles. I'm likely seeing things. "Don't be a smart-ass and turn over."

"Why?"

"Because I told you to."

I don't have any energy to argue with him right now so I turn over and give him my back. My teeth knock together, still chattering, and it's the only sound in the dark room. At least until the sheets rustle when Lucas moves. I can feel the bed shift underneath his weight and for a second I think he's going to leave but then his chest presses against my back and I still. I don't dare breathe when his arm wraps around my waist, the other one wedging between my neck and the mattress, until I'm completely cocooned in him. His leg pushes between mine and the very centre of me is suddenly resting comfortably on his thigh. Holy hell. My throat locks up when he captures my freezing feet between his much warmer ones and now there's officially not a single part of us that isn't touching. He's already so much bigger than me in size so I feel completely overtaken by his body.

"What are you d-doing?" I whisper hesitantly. There's no way he can't feel the thundering speed of my pulse, in more places than one no less.

"Making sure you don't turn into a human icicle," He snarks. I feel him tighten his hold on me. "Jesus fuck, you're freezing."

"Hadn't noticed," I deadpan and feel him shake slightly with a chuckle. It's quiet for a few more moments but not in awkward way. I can't help but wonder what he's thinking right now. I can't help but wonder why this is all happening. So I whisper, "Lucas?"

"Yeah?"

I lick my dry lips nervously. "Why are you doing this?"

"I told you. To make sure you don't fr—"

"No. I mean, w-why are you here? Why are you h-helping me?"

I get no answer. There's not even a whisper of noise between us. All I hear is his deep breathing to remind me that he's still there, and the way his arms are locked around me.