our flustering

i ate waffles for breakfast 

***

JAMES 

After my little revelation the other day, hanging out with Will is torturous. Throughout the shitfest of our hangout sessions, I've been more that tempted to self-combust. Every little smirk, lingering stare and nudge in the side is setting me on fire. 

And it's not helpful at all that Will McClain is someone I know better than myself. 

For example, I know that he hates eggs. Whether fried, scrambled or poached— they actually nauseate him. I know that he's left handed and has a shit sense of direction. I know when he got his first dog. Kurt. And I know how emotional he got when Kurt passed on. I know that he never got another dog. I know every little quirk about Will McClain and my sanity is slowly dripping away the more I think about him.

Or see him. Because just like I know Will McClain, Will McClain knows me. In fact, knows me so well that his favorite hobby is walking around the house shirtless. Shirts don't exist while we're home together. 

I never thought about it before. It's that moment when you've been looking at something your entire life. Something you never thought about, something that barely existed in your universe. But suddenly, some shit changes. And that thing you've ignored your entire life? It morphs into some shining beacon you can't take your eyes off of.

I have to actively tell myself not to stare.

But my mind's swirling with the world, and my eyes won't stop wandering.

Like now, Will's spread out across the couch, shirt chucked somewhere in his living room as usual. He's grinning at something on the TV, and all of a sudden, it's insanely difficult to keep my eyes off of him.

To keep my eyes off the slope of his nose, the way his teeth nibble on his bottom lip, the way his hand runs through his hair nothing short of a million times. The way his lips quirk upwards as he switches from show to show.

"James," My eyes snap up to Will's. 

He raises an eyebrow and I can feel my face burning.

"I've called you like three times," he says, eyes still on me. He doesn't look annoyed in the slightest, a little concerned if anything.

"Oh, yeah, sorry, what is it?" I ask, shaking my head.

His gaze is careful. "Could you maybe get us some chips? From the kitchen?" he asks, voice slow, the slightest hesitance shining through his tone.

"Sure," I make a move to stand up, brushing imaginary dust off of my jeans.

"Third cupboard on the right." Will says as he always does despite the fact that I already know where the McClains keep their chips. Will leans back into his seat, and I nod, practically speed walking out of the room.