Persephone

She knew she was making a ruckus, but she couldn't help herself. She had to get inside the huge marble hall before anyone could see her. Before another soul could discover her whereabouts and promptly inform her mother or lord husband.

The last thing she wanted was for either of the two to interfere.

Persephone pounded her fists against the golden doors. The large panels, engraved with the most intricate leaf-work in all of Olympus, were an intimidating sight to some, but for her they spelled sanctuary. The earlier she could enter her aunt's home, the sooner she could allow herself to break down. "Aunt Hessy! Aunt Hessy!"

Her cries were heard a moment later. The doors opened, allowing her entrance into the tastefully decorated interior. She flung herself into the room, grateful for the welcoming warmth of her aunt's undying hearth.

Said aunt stood before her, the sparkle in her kind eyes as bright as the precious stones sewn into her long veil. "Perry? What on Olympus are you doing here?" Hestia took her hands and pulled her closer to the fire. The hearth goddess' fingers were slim and soft, giving Persephone the much needed comfort she had been craving. "Where is your mother?"

"I fled from her watchful gaze, Dear Aunt," Persephone readily admitted. Everyone on Olympus knew that there was no escaping Hestia's cognizance. Lying to the goddess was moot, so Persephone resolved to be truthful. "I know 'tis such a selfish choice to make, but I can bear it no longer."

Hestia's brows furrowed as they regarded each other. Persephone kept still, knowing that her aunt would be able to discern what was distressing her simply by the look on her face. She allowed the older goddess to look into her heart and see how close it was to shattering.

Finally, just as she could bear it no longer and decided to speak, Hestia addressed her. "This is about my sister's tight leash again, isn't it? Did she drive away another one of your friends?"

Persephone whimpered as an invisible cord around her heart tightened, causing her pain. Bits and pieces of the confrontation she had with her mother earlier returned to her memory. They'd both said some nasty words to each other after Demeter's demands, and it had driven her to steal away from the goddess' presence.

She didn't like fighting with her mother, but it happened more often than she wanted it to. Usually, they were about little things, such as which human state they should bless next or which mortal hero needed their help. But sometimes they involved her personal life, and she hated these quarrels most of all.

"It was Minthe." The flowers in Persephone's hair wilted as sadness and dismay overcame her. "She forbade me to speak to her, both here and in the underworld."

"The Cocytian naiad?" Hestia asked, the light in her eyes dimming just a little.

Persephone was too caught up in recalling her mother's ridiculous orders that she barely noticed the change.

Demeter had no right to forbid her to make new friends, especially with someone dear Hades considered a fond acquaintance. Minthe had once been her lord husband's cherished companion before she came into his life. It was only right that they should try to get along, because it would please the dark god immensely.

"I met her while I was strolling with the hounds, and we hit it off quite well." Persephone recalled her first encounter with the water naiad, who had been eager to talk to her about her husband. Minthe was beautiful, confident and vivacious, and it was clear from their first conversation that the sprite was as devoted to Hades as she. "I thought I could finally have a friend and confidante in Minthe, but Mother insists that I stay away from her at all costs. Why does she continue to assert herself, Aunt Hessy? Shall I always remain under her rule, even though I am now myself a wife and mother?"