Chapter 9: Remembrance

"Giyuu-senpai, please go out with me." Giyuu sighed as he looked at the girl in front of him. Ever since he became a senior, there was a sharp increase in the number of girls who confessed to him. He didn't even know this girl. He briefly wondered if Shinobu had found him this annoying when he confessed to her, and even more annoying when he said he wouldn't give up on her. He shook his head. These thoughts always invaded his mind whenever he turned down a confession.

It had been almost five years since Shinobu rejected him, and nothing had changed. The first couple of weeks after she left, he refused to leave his room until Sabito finally managed to drag him out. Then in high school, Sabito and Makomo told him to try and date a girl to see if he actually liked Shinobu or if he just liked her because she was nice and pretty. But the relationship didn't even last a week as she broke up with him because he wasn't looking at her properly. Since then, he just decided to not date until he got some closure with Shinobu. He didn't forget her and wanted to be with her still, but if she rejected him when he confessed to her again, he'll probably die on the inside. Since then, he tried his best to be the "ideal adult" (though Giyuu had no idea what that meant). Even when Shinobu visited Japan a few times during the year, he refused to see her as he wanted her to see him as an adult the next time they meet. His stubbornness was painful to everyone watching, especially to Makomo and Sabito who didn't hesitate to tell him what was going on in Shinobu's life.

"What do you even like about me? I never seen you before." Giyuu said exasperatedly.

"You helped me during the school festival? And you even smiled at me as you did?" she said as she smiled as if to remind him. He remembered nothing of the sort. It was expected for him to help out during the festival because he was on the disciplinary council. 

"I like someone else. Please give up on me." He said monotonously. 

"You tell that to everyone, but no one even knows who you're talking about." She protested. He sighed, but continued.

"I like older women." he said bluntly. It was half true even if it made him sound like a sleaze. The girl angrily huffed then stomped away leaving him in the courtyard, muttering something about not trusting men anymore. He looked at the bush next to him.

"You can come out now." Sabito and Makomo popped out of the bush looking sheepish as they jogged towards him.

"Another knock out from 'the ice cold hottie'." Makomo teased with air quotes. "You know, that girl is in my class and I tried to stop her. I even showed her Shinobu-nee's Instagram and she didn't believe me." 

"Shinobu-nee said that she started getting dm's from girls that you rejected. Maybe you should be nicer Prince Charming." Sabito said as Giyuu groaned. If he was nicer, then he was giving them hope which lead to trouble down the line. But if he was cold, they would take their anger out on Shinobu. Even though Shinobu was the one who rejected him, he couldn't help feel sympathy for her.

"Sabito, can't I just pretend to date you?" Giyuu asked half seriously. There were already rumors that they were dating, so what further damage could happen if he said they were actually dating.

"No way. Because of you there aren't many girls interested in dating anyone else which sucks for the rest of us." Sabito shook his head to emphasize his refusal though his smile clearly showed his amusement. 

"Anyways, when are you going to see her? She misses you you know." Makomo said as they started walking towards the gate, putting behind the confession in the courtyard.