Chapter 5: Fateful meeting

When Alythia opened her eyes she was lying on her side in an empty white space.

She pushed herself on to her elbows and up to her feet.

As she walked around she felt an unusual sense of familiarity – like a strange dream she might've dreamt as a child but could now not quite recall the detail of.

She glanced around, but there was nothing. No people, no sky, no walls, not even a floor – it's as if she had up until now been walking on nothing but air.

Then she saw it.

It twirled around her several times, blowing her hair about like an autumn breeze, before coming to a halt right in front of her.

The red light, that was now much clearer and brighter than before, grew and morphed into the form of a man – or well something resembling a man.

Alythia's mind was in a haze.

She heard a strange sound coming from the glowing figure now standing before her.

Its voice was powerful and even felt as if it would shake mountains, had there been any.

"Alythia" It said, its tone surprisingly gentle.

It sounded old but youthful; wise yet vigorous. It's as if it had no age, yet at the same time within it was every age ever lived.

She could not look up at it. She was certain that it must've had eyes but she lacked the courage to confirm it.

Something about its presence made her feel small – so very very small – that she desperately wished it was possible for her to vanish all together.

"You know my name?" She meekly asked after finally regaining her voice.

"Of course I do child, have I not been calling you for years?" The voice responded as if it was the most commonest of knowledge.

"Then, do you know why I am here?" she asked, eyes still glued to her feet.

"Why is anyone ever anywhere? Is it not because they have some business there?"

"But what business do I have here? It's not like this world has anything I desire..."

"Ah child, don't be so sure. People are very seldom aware of what it is they truly desire. There is a longing you have, yet you could not fill this longing in your previous world because you are made for another"

Just then something like a red finger reached out and pointed towards her heart.

"What you are looking for is the one whom that belongs to"

"T-Then if I find them, will I find answers?" Aythia stuttered.

"Perhaps answers, perhaps not. But what you most definitely will find is peace".

========================================

She snapped her head up to look at the figure but instead found herself somewhere else. She was now sitting on a bed staring at the sunrays as they merrily danced across the hospital walls.

Alythia heard footsteps approach.

She turned her head towards the door and saw a tall boy, probably around her age, step inside the empty room.

He was well built with dark skin and black eyes. Although his face was handsome, his chocolate brown hair seemed wild and unkempt. He gave off an intimidating presence, which put Alythia on guard.

"Miss Ashwrith?" he questioned, walking towards the bed.

Alythia lifted her head slightly, cautiously nodding in agreement.

"I'll get straight to the point" the boy began. "I appreciate what you did for my sister, but I dislike owing people. While you were sleeping I took it upon myself to investigate and..."

The boy hesitated for a moment before continuing "I am aware of the situation with your parents and the fact that you are now in need of a place to stay. So as a means of repaying you for your kindness I can provide you with food and shelter up until the year we both graduate from the academy. Does that sound fair?"

Alythia, however, did not register a single word he had said. The only thoughts that were currently twirling around inside her mind were about how familiar the boy in front of her seemed.

'Dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes... haven't I read that description somewhere before?'

Seeing as she didn't respond the boy just casually sat down next to her on the bed.

His sudden movements snapped her out of her daze and she automatically nodded her head without realizing what she was agreeing to.

The boy's mouth curved into a smile as he leaned in closer "Hmmm Miss Ashwrith, wasn't that a little too easy? You know, you're not very resistant for a girl. Be sure to work on that, Okay?" He gave her a sly wink before straightening and calling his sister back into the room.

'What the?? Wasn't that a little out of character for a boy my age???'

Just then the little girl rushed back into the room like some typhoon, practically jumping Alythia off the bed.

"This is Kloeye" the boy said pointing to the little girl lying comfortably on top of Alythia, hugging her in such a way that made it hard for her to breathe. "And I'm Karlyle, welcome to the family. I'll have my servants call any relatives you may have and inform them of our arrangement"

'WAIT!! K-K-Karlyle!!!???!? But him... with the Prince and... HAAAHHH??? How did I end up getting entangled with this guy!?'

Alythia let out a worrisome groan as she laid her head back and thought about how utterly ridiculous it was that such a small turn of events could've so drastically changed the course she had been on.