Disney Racing

Kevin Disney, no relation if any to Walt, drove his blue-and-white Indy car with purpose along Long Beach's East Shoreline Drive, the front stretch for the street circuit for the self-titled Grand Prix, crossing the start/finish line on the drive's inverted curve. He checked the display on his steering wheel, reading 175 MPH on the LCD. Looking back up, he could see the roller-coaster-shaped steelwork on the bridge approaching, reminding him that he would have to make a hard left turn onto Aquarium Way. He hit the brakes and downshifted, his fingers dancing on the steering wheel.

He made the sharp left turn, accelerated on the curved straight between turns 1 & 2. Beyond the curved straight, he approached the left-right-left chicane around the Aquarium Fountain, which he maneuvered, precisely. His car bumped, a result of driving on public roads that had been closed off for one of the most prestigious races of the season. The blue-and-white number 15 car, sponsored by Old Style beer, reacted to his quick wheel movements, making the turn as smooth as on a newly-polished piece of wooden furniture. He was in second place and in position to win, thanks to the efforts of his pit crew and the fast car they'd had all day.

"One to go next time around," said his Skip Boone, his crew chief, in his North Carolina drawl.

"Copy that," he replied.

Another burst of speed, then his right side tires bounced off the hard-right turn 4, another curved straightaway. He kept calm when the car's right side returned to the ground, going to the outside.

"Don't push it too hard," Boone said over the radio.

"I'm not!"

"You're faster than Barrichello, you'll catch him."

Turning back onto the westbound side of Shoreline Drive, but going east, Kevin groaned. He'd been leading until 5 laps ago. Helio Barrichello of Sao Paulo, Brazil stormed to the lead, his red-and-white Penske car blowing past Kevin on the Shoreline front stretch. That same car was within view, stretching the lead on the straightaways, and contracting in the turns, like the sharp left-hander north onto Pine Avenue. The veteran Barrichello effortlessly made the turn, but so did the young Kevin.

Kevin, 23 years old, was in his third IndyCar season, and already had 4 wins; one win in his rookie season, 2 last year, and one win this year, at Circuit of the Americas near Austin, Texas this past March. Barrichello, on the other hand, was 39 years old, won an F1 world championship with Ferrari, had been in IndyCar for 11 years, and won 24 races, including last year's Indy 500, and two championships. But Kevin knew a few tricks of his own. His grandfather was 2-time USAC Champ Car champ Jon Disney, and his dad was 2-time CART champion Tom Disney, who co-founded the namesake family team, Disney Racing, with his brother Robert, that Kevin currently drove for.

Making the 90-degree right-handed 8th turn onto Seaside Way, Kevin checked his push-to-passes on the display screen in his steering wheel. He had two. Pressing the OT button, his car received a short turbo boost, propelling it faster, inching the gap between him and Barrichello. Kevin grit his teeth, gripped the steering wheel harder, soaking it with sweat, preparing to make the pass on the inside of turn number 9.

But Barrichello swerved to the right, cutting him off. SHIT! He hit the brakes hard, wasting his push-to-pass.

"Easy, buddy," Skip warned over the radio. Both cars made the left-handed turn ten, sweeping through the Long Beach Convention Center's parking lot, then slowed hard on the hairpin that returned to Shoreline Drive. Both drivers accelerated along the curved front stretch, as the flagman waved a piece of white cloth in their air.

"White flag, white flag," Skip said over the radio.

Kevin growled. His heart raced faster than his car, and his palms, already sweating, soaked through his racing gloves. He didn't want to finish second to Barrichello again, but he didn't want to let the Brazilian get to him.