28 | Epilogue

Lizzie drenches a french fry in ketchup as the mall's food court bustles around us. Zack doesn't even bother shooing her hand away from his tray— instead, he reaches over and takes one of her nachos, evening the score.

Colorful shopping bags crowd the floor around our table, and outside, snow falls and paints the parking lot and the cars with a layer of white. We're all back in school now, but it's finally winter break. Thankfully, we were all able to get together for a much needed holiday shopping spree.

Ethan sighs next to me as he crosses another name off of his list. "Okay, that's seventy-five percent of my Christmas shopping done. But it'll be a miracle if I ever figure out what to get for my sister."

"Ah, the perks of being an only child," Zack gloats, biting into a fry.

"You have no idea," Mei says, leaning against Michael's arm, clearly exhausted despite the fact that he's been carrying most of her bags all day. Still, he wraps his arm around her, letting her rest.

He's been a good sport, even with Mei's all-too-familiar turbulent shopping moods. If I hadn't already decided that I liked him, I would've today— but as soon as I met him, it was easy to see he's a great guy. When Mei told him about everything that had happened with Rita, he didn't even hesitate in picking her over his social status. As soon as school started, they ditched Rita's snooty clique. They've both been happier since, just floating between the other social groups the Winsor has to offer.

And me? Well, I've been floating with them.

Mei and I got assigned seats right next to each other in World History, and fell back into our old rhythm within a few days. Our friendship is different than before— not for better or worse, just different. We've both grown a lot since what happened. Maybe because of what happened.

Lizzie and Zack are still busy being the world's cutest couple, blushing over each other's existence and whatnot. If you ask me, it's totally and completely obvious that they're in love, but considering who we're talking about, I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll admit it anytime soon.

Ethan started taking some art classes at the local college a few weeks earlier, and a week or so before that, asked me to be his girlfriend. And, as if it needs clarification, I said yes.

My heart warms as I look at the group around me, even as they playfully bicker about gift giving. For someone who was determined to not make any friends a few months ago, I seem to have done a pretty terrible job at it— thank God.

Truth be told, being alone wasn't so bad. But as long as we're telling truths, then I also have to admit: being together is a whole lot better.

 But as long as we're telling truths, then I also have to admit: being together is a whole lot better

So... it's finally finished!! 🥳 I set out back in April to write a quick read about friendship, and ended up getting stuck halfway through and totally veering off the path of my outline 😅 But I'm happy with how it turned out, and the message it sends. And it definitely taught me a lot about storytelling! 💚 

The epilogue wasn't totally necessary, but I just think it wraps everything up a bit nicer. 😉

Thank you all so much for joining Delena on her journey :') I seriously hope you enjoyed it and can't express enough gratitude for all your wonderful comments 💚 You guys were the main reason I saw this story through to the end, so again, thank you!!