23. Misunderstanding

Samaira upped her lashes towards the door on hearing a knock there. She put aside her books to get up. She was not going to college for the last 4 days because of the incident that happened with her. It had created a bad impression for her college - a reputed institution.

So their MD announced a week's holiday for them - so they can return with full vigour. That's why Samaira was writing some study notes, to utilise her time.

In these 4 days, she didn't interact with Abhimaan much. They saw each other, she almost bumped into him last night but composed herself soon. It was her mistake, not Abhimaan's. He did a lot for her. It was her fault to get her hopes high. He didn't tell her to dream about anything.

This was how she was trying to make herself understand. 

To hide her pain.

To forget the hurt.

She opened the door only to find herself standing face-to-face with the man whom she had been trying to ignore. The man who saved her, gave her support and comforted her.

And broke her heart a little as well!

Here Abhimaan was standing in his formal wear - wearing a black suit. He was holding his mobile to his ear. He was on a call with somebody.

"Why is he here?"

Samaira frowned looking at him but didn't ask him as he was talking with someone on the phone. Soon he forwarded his cell to her which made her narrow her eyes in confusion.

"Mom wants to talk to you. You didn't call her for the past few days. She is getting worried about you." He said in a go, answering everything she wanted to ask. Hearing Arunima's name her eyes got filled with love. She immediately took the phone from his hand and walked inside.

"Maa, how are you?" She said over the phone and heard Arunima's worried voice.

"How are you beta? I have been trying to call you for the last 5 days! Where is your phone?" Samaira silently heard the list of questions Arunima was throwing at her - one after the other.

"I'm fine Maa. Sorry, I couldn't call you... I... My phone broke... That's why!" She felt her eyes brim with tears thinking about the horrible incident. She didn't get the time to repair her phone after that incident.

Abhimaan too walked inside hearing her quavering voice. She looked up for a brief second to control her tears. She didn't want her to know about her condition. She gulped down the tears, closed her eyes before talking again.

"Don't do this ever again, okay? We were getting so worried here. That's why I called Abhi!" Arunima said in a go.

Samaira felt Abhimaan's intense gaze on her but didn't dare to look up. She knew that she would meltdown the moment she would look at him.

Abhimaan saw how her face lit up while talking to his mother. Indeed they have formed a very special and lovely bond.

"Beta... Is everything good between you two?" She asked her. Her voice was now low and full of concern for her children.

Samaira looked up to Abhimaan, whose eyes were already on her. She licked up dry lips, before replying.

"We... We are fine. Don't worry Maa." She said while looking into his eyes. He felt the sadness in her voice. She was lying to his mother for him. He took a breath in relief.

They talked for some time and disconnected after asking about everyone's well-being. Arunima also reminded her to take care of each other. She hummed in reply and handed over the phone to Abhimaan.