XXXI. First Time in Forever

"Have you ever noticed how parents can go from the most wonderful people in the world to totally embarrassing in three seconds?" Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid

---- 

XXXI. First Time in Forever

"Another Frozen dolly, Mummy!" screamed Maddie in pure and utter delight as she tore the wrapping paper off of one of Joy's Santa gifts. She threw the paper behind her without care and held up the Elsa doll gleefully.

Joy was positively beaming from the sofa as she watched Maddie unwrap her presents. In fact, most of the family were completely mesmerised as Maddie excitedly devoured her pile of gifts from Santa.

Maddie was in her element and was absolutely delighted with everything that she opened. Sophie was really pleased that Maddie was able to get a few toys that she would never have been able to afford herself. Sophie had bought Maddie new colouring books and pencils and a few piano books, as well as a few new films for her to watch. Of course, Maddie had been just as excited to receive them as well.

Joy had indeed gone mad, but so long as Maddie was happy, Sophie didn't mind.

Sophie absently bobbed her teabag in her mug as she watched Maddie. Noah sat beside her, his arm over the back of the sofa, allowing her to lean on his shoulder.

Tally was on the floor beside Maddie, seemingly as excited as she was, helping her to choose which present she wanted to open next. Sophie liked that she was able to hang back and allow Maddie to bond with the other members of the family. Tally had been wonderful that morning in running with Maddie between the empty cookie plate and the munched on carrots and exclaiming with her that Santa had been.

Vanessa, Haley, John and Joy were all sat on the sofa as well, but Casey had out her professional camera and was snapping pictures of them all. Sophie honestly couldn't wait to see them as she was certain they would look better than anything her phone could take.

The living room was a sea of Christmas paper when Maddie was finished. It was John, then, who found himself on the floor with Tally and Maddie as he helped her to cut some of her new toys out of their packaging. Sophie and Noah fetched a bin liner to tidy away the paper, and Joy, Haley, and Vanessa got started on making something for breakfast. Only light, of course, as Joy wouldn't have their appetites spoiled.

Sophie held open the bin liner as Noah set to work at clearing away the paper. John was lying on his side, his legs outstretched, just about underneath the tree as he listened to Maddie jabber on excitedly about how wonderful Elsa was.

Oh, dear, she could have died from this family's sweetness ten times over this trip already.

Noah began to turn the chore into a game, screwing up the paper and shooting it at Sophie as though it was a basketball hoop. Sophie laughed as he purposefully missed, getting her in the face almost every time.

A flash went off as they mucked around and Casey snapped a photo of them.

They ate a simple breakfast of cereals and toast before the rest of the gifts were to be opened. Tally resumed her spot on the floor with Maddie and popped a Santa hat on her head.

Maddie didn't complain, and Sophie was silently thankful that this sweet, little gesture was not a sensory issue.

"Okay, are you going to be my present hander-outer-er?" Tally asked Maddie.

Maddie nodded.

Tally pulled the first gift out from under the tree and read the label. "To Casey, from Mom and Dad." Tally handed the present to Maddie and she immediately got up and walked over to Casey.