Ch 69: Rainy Night, Our Little Times

Music on to feel the vibe?

**

Yuan Zi Yan listens as the rain continues to pour down. Now, there is barely any sunlight.

It's okay, Zi Yan. Someone will find you. You left a letter, remember?

She tries to wait it out, but soon falls asleep.

What wakes her up is the sound of footsteps coming towards her. She boggles in surprise. She grabs the final golden hair stick from her hair and holds onto it tightly.

The footsteps are getting nearer.

Suddenly, she jumps up and pins the person down on the ground, holding the sharp hair stick against the person's neck.

"..." She drops the hair stick on the ground.

"Sir..."

Tears begin to escape her eyes. A feeling of relief overwhelms her, as her shoulder and muscles relax.

The salt of her tears runs down on Xu Kai's cheeks. The Co-Commander gently wipes them away. He wraps his arms around the Miss, who is laying flat on top of him in tears.

"I was afraid something happened to you," He sighs in relief. He pats her on the head, "I've let my guard down. I apologize."

**

They both sit around the small fire Sir Xu just made, hoping to absorb some heat.

She wipes her swollen red eyes, "You should've seen the way she looked at me when she strangled me.. It was haunting."

Sir Xu frowns, "I am sorry I disappeared on you."

"It's alright. You cannot be with me every second of the day. I am just.. glad it's over. Now that I think about it.." Zi Yan places her hands around the small bonfire, "Did something happen in your mission..?"

"The northern gates suddenly exploded, causing many injuries and deaths. General Li was one of the victims, but thanks to Wu Lan Jun, her injuries are not that severe."

"Wu Lan Jun?"

"Yes. Imperial Guard Wu hovered over General Li; when the explosion occurred, he took most of the damage."

Yuan Zi Yan places her hands together, closing her eyes. "I pray General Li and Wu Lan Jun, along with the innocent citizens, will be alright.."

"This must be the Eighth Prince's doings. Tomorrow, he will be executed. He plans to do as much damage as he could before he is gone.." Xu Kai adds, from which Zi Yan replies with a nod.

"And.. Sir," Zi Yan suddenly glances at him, "I thought about everything.. I believe it's about time that I come to terms with what had occurred. I have consoled myself enough to learn to gradually move on and let it go slowly."

"..Now, I am ready to retreat, to stitch back old wounds and swab these scars."

"Is that so?" Sir Xu's lips gradually curl up as his eyes rest on her, "I'm glad to hear."

"AH-ACHOO!" Yuan Zi Yan recovers from her sneeze and laughs nervously, "Sorry.. it's the dust."

"Zi Yan," exclaims Sir Xu, "Come here." He pats the spot next to him and unravels his cape as a blanket.

Under the rainy night, they sit a feet apart from each other, covered by the cape, and around the bonfire to conserve heat.

Sir Xu sights the red mark around Yuan Zi Yan's neck. He twists his body around, lifting his finger to gently feel her neck.

Yuan Zi Yan flinches in surprise, "W-What..?"

"Don't move," he whispers as he takes out his medicine bottle from his chest pockets. He gently rubs something cold and minty on her neck.

"Is it really red..?"

"Redder than a tomato."

She gasps, "That bad?" She raises her hand to her neck, accidentally knocking the medicine bottle to the ground.

"Ah—"

They both bend down to get the medicine bottle. Xu Kai's hand touches that of Zi Yan. When they turn their heads, their faces are an inch apart from each other.

For a mere second, a thought runs across Xu Kai's mind. He suddenly snaps back into reality and realizes he has been looking directly at Zi Yan, who curiously returns his gaze. He picks up the medicine bottle, "You can rest assure now."

Silence engulfs the atmosphere again, as they both sit side by side behind the bonfire. The sound of rain dominates.

Yuan Zi Yan speaks to terminate the silence, "S-Sir! Remember our first mission together..?"

"..For the illegal Opium exchange?"

Zi Yan nods, "It was.. very fun."

He releases a faint laughter, "We were almost caught and you think it to be fun? Who was the one that caused my lip to be bruised for the rest of the week?"

"Well," huffs Zi Yan, "It may have been horrible.. but we were saved because of that kiss, alright?" She glances at Sir Xu while crossing her arms.

The Co-Commander rests his head on his right hand, which is held into a fist. He tilts his head to gaze at Zi Yan who is at his left.

He whispers, "If it's that horrible.."

Zi Yan turns her head to the Co-Commander, "If it's that horrible..?"

"Do you want to try it again?"

Zi Yan's eyes meet that of Sir Xu again. They sit in silence.

A mutual and prolonged gaze.

Perhaps that is what created a feeling of passion and attraction between the two during this rainy and chilly night.

Beneath the cape, Sir Xu's leans in closer every second. He gently plants a kiss on her bruised neck, motioning upwards. Even with the lightest touch, he is able to manifest pleasure within the Elder Miss. Yuan Zi Yan finds herself seeking his touch, as if she is the ocean tide following the motion of the moon.

Softly caressing her cheek with one hand, Sir Xu brushes his lips against hers. He moves an arm around her waist and pulls her closer to him.

They could feel each other's rapid heart beat. She wounds her hands into his hair; his silky and fine hair curled around her fingers. Chills run down her skin, fire burns within her.

His lips are softer and warmer than anything she could have imagined. He kisses her with a fierce, demanding passion.

He pulls away and lifts her up, laying her over his laps, "Are you cold, Zi Yan?"

She shakes her head as they gravitate their lips towards each other again. It is electric, pulsing, and smoky— Zi Yan is consumed, as she lets out a soft exhalation. He holds her hand across his chest, his other hand sliding across her neck. His touch feathery soft, making her knees go weak.

Suddenly, Sir Xu sees tears rolling down Zi Yan's fragile eyes. He comes to a halt. "Zi Yan, what's wrong?" He cups her face with his hands, worried. "Am I hurting you?"

"Sir.." she whispers faintly, "I will miss our little times together."