Chapter 2

Summary

While Arthur and Merlin attempt to straighten out their future, the world conspires to end it altogether.

Part 2

Arthur went into a whirlwind frenzy of activity the rest of that day and into the next. The only breaks he took from his search for the sorceress were when he slept and ate – mostly on Merlin's orders – and when he trained his men, taking care, Merlin saw, to beat to hell those who threatened Merlin. Merlin didn't know that it won either of them any favors until Arthur said, at the end of the session, "those who don't trust my judgment, leave my side. I'll not have such people on the battlefield with me."

Merlin cringed, waiting for every man to turn and glare at him – the glare that said 'we know this isn't him, but actually you'. He did get some of them; Jence, in particular, looked ready to turn his sword on Merlin. But most actually looked chagrined. A couple even seemed to be nodding approvingly. Among those few stood Kay.

And those who glared at Merlin were ordered by Arthur in the next instant to sentry duty, where they would remain "for the foreseeable future."

And while Arthur went on an absolute rampage the next day, demanding everyone to search the town, the surrounding forest, to search and see if they could find the woman who had stolen – in Arthur's eyes – his sister, Merlin hardly got any glares from the guards. It made him almost giddy at the same time he felt guilty. They were trusting that Merlin wasn't actually magic, and all the while he really was.

Merlin went to see Gaius. He went to see Gwen, who looked about as harried as Arthur did. And finally he went back to Arthur's chambers, dusted and straightened and even sewed a shirt Arthur had been wearing to a practice and had ripped on the armor. He remade the bed, cleaned the windows, and got Arthur's meal. He even cleaned the headboard and footboard of the bed. His mind raced, chasing around itself, nipping at him. He could feel its teeth whenever he thought of Morgause and Morgana. He had to tell Arthur. He knew he had to tell Arthur. And if he told Arthur about Morgana and Morgause, then he would have to tell Arthur everything. Every sordid detail. Including...

He'd just barely gotten back Arthur's regard, and he was about to lose it again, this time potentially for good. No matter what, Arthur would not forgive someone poisoning his sister. He could never forgive that.

Arthur, when he arrived, took one step into the room and stopped still. Merlin watched him take in the clean floor, the gleaming windows and bed, and slowly turn those widening eyes on Merlin. "Are you ill?" he asked, and if his gut hadn't been about to spill out his breakfast, Merlin might have laughed at just how serious Arthur sounded as he asked.

Instead he gulped, took a deep breath, and said, "I... need to talk to you. About Morgause."

Arthur lifted his chin. "Good." Merlin startled at that, and Arthur strode up to the table, twisted one of the chairs around so it faced Merlin, and sat in it as if it were a throne. "There's more to the story than I know, of course. I suppose there's more to everything that's happened than I know. So tell me. Why did 'blond, pretty, and tall' mean something to you immediately, when it didn't even to me?"

Merlin shivered. "I suppose because I was waiting for it."

Arthur frowned. "You mean you were expecting her to return."

Merlin nodded. Shrugged. "I think you were, too."

Arthur sat silent for a moment. "Maybe. But she's been gone too long. She should have come back again by now if she wanted to finish us off. After the dragon..." Arthur waved it away. "Well. I suppose... I might have been distracted." He scowled. "It's even worse now, Merlin. If it's Morgause, and she's found out about you..."