Chapter Twenty- One

She didn't remember getting in bed, but there she was. Caleb was gone and it was still dark out. She didn't mean to ignore everyone, just let herself get carried away.

Getting up, she smiled at the soreness in her body, a memory of fierce passion and it was a feeling she treasured. The thirst, however, was almost painful.

Throwing on a nightgown, she tied a robe around her and headed downstairs. Glancing at her phone, it was later then she thought and she had a meeting to go to later. She wouldn't have much time before she would have to go back to sleep and she couldn't wait until all of the daytime stuff was over with.

It was surprisingly quiet as she went downstairs. Glancing in the living room, she found it empty. Same for the dining room and kitchen.

Pouring a glass of water, she leaned against the counter, frowning at the emptiness. Was everyone asleep already?

Finishing the glass, she made it back to the hallway and looked down the dark hall.

Dark but for a light coming from the bottom of a door. That door.

Her heart sped up, but for no reason, surely.

Knowing she should go back upstairs and crawl back in bed, she couldn't stop her feet as they led her to the light. Gripping the knob, she stopped herself. What if Draven was with someone? Could she stand to see it? Honestly, no. Especially if it was Trey. But he hadn't told Draven to do it yet. Her teeth hurt her lip and she slowly turned the knob and opened the door.

There was a muffled sound. A sound of torment, but given no way to escape. This wasn't anything Draven was doing because he wanted to hear the screams he ripped from torn bodies.

What was going on?

She eased her way down the stairs and as she reached the bottom, terror filled her heart.

~~~ 

Kian's head pressed back on the table that held her captive, the veins in his neck defined as he struggled.

A strap covered his mouth and his breath was rapid and harsh through his nose. That was until he pulled hard and that was the muffled sound she heard.

"What's happening?" her own voice was low, almost unrecognizable and Draven looked at her.

Elliot appeared before her. "He was attacked and there is nothing you can do. Please let me help you to sleep."

"I won't put my arm in his mouth, Elliot. Caleb is hungry. I won't be foolish.

She moved past him, further into the room. Sleep was the last thing she was going to do.

"Stop," Draven said and her feet froze. "Elliot, please, return to this task."

She could see Kian's chest now, shirt ripped open and deep cuts marring the once smooth skin.

Caleb looked over the table at her. "Nikolas and Kian were hunting." He was holding Kian's arm down, Nikolas the other and with a glance, Elliot returned to his legs. She watched dry-mouthed as Draven cut deep into his chest.

The sound that came from Kian was a torturous one and Chevonne's heart broke.

"You're hurting him."

"Yes, cuore mio. I am. But it's going to save him."

Caleb spoke from where he was. "Nikolas had to carry him here after they lost them."

She looked at Nikolas, who's back was to her. "There were two of them," he said, his voice strained as Kian pulled against them when Draven cut deep once more.