Part 8

"Shit, shit." Echo said to herself as she rolled over the man who was on the ground. She stared at him in shock. She'd never seen a man this badly beaten... or beaten at all. His face was blood and mud stained and she could see his arm was hurt. What happened? Her fingers fluttered nervously as she tried to inspect his face, his wound, trying to gauge how badly he was injured. She leaned in closely, bringing her ear near his face... listening...

Okay. He was breathing. Echo felt relief sweep over her before she quickly patted her pant pockets, remembering she'd left her phone on the table at the opposite end of the garden.

"Fuck. HELP." She began to yell, hoping someone would hear her from inside, glancing around her. "HELP."

She waited a second, waited to see someone rush out those doors but no one came. The rain was very heavy at this point and she doubted they could hear her screaming. She looked at the man, unsure what to do first. Get up and call 911 or try to get him into the pool house which wasn't very far. Then, she called out again.

"HELP!!!" She began but a hand on her arm made her shriek.

She looked down, he was moving and at the moment, his grip was firm on her.

"Oh my god, thank god." She said, turning to him as he tried to sit up. "Are you okay?"

He didn't respond.

"No, of course not. How is he going to be okay?" She said to herself, unsure what to do as she moved.

"It's raining." he said after a few minutes, his voice rasping and wincing in pain.

"Yeah, hard." She said a little breathlessly. "I have to get you out of the rain. Can you walk? There's a pool house I can take you to."

His eyes darted in the direction she pointed. It was only a few feet away and he'd seen it before- it was actually where he was trying to get before he failed. He looked back at the girl in front of him, she was completely soaked and looked very small but he was sure that with some help he could get there.

"Yeah, can you help?" He asked and she nodded, helping him as he stood.

"Are you sure you can do this?" She asked, hearing his groans as she rose.

"Fuuucckkkk." He said loudly, making her flinch as he did. "Yes..."

He reached towards her and she quickly hooked his arm around her shoulders.

"Careful, I'm pretty sure they're broken."He muttered, trying to pull himself upright.

She looked down to his ribs, nodding as she moved him slowly, intentionally towards the pool house. It was only a few short feet away but it felt like an eternity as she tried not to crumble under the man's weight. A few minutes later, they were in and she was helping him settle down onto a sofa.

"Here." She said, moving towards a closet and pulling out a blanket, not taking even a moment to catch her breath.

"Thank you." He said, taking the blanket without really glancing at her.

"Listen, I have to go get my phone. I'm going to call an ambulance but I'll be right back." She said, turning to leave quickly but she heard a click and then he spoke.

"No." He said, making her stop in her tracks. Echo was still. Somehow she knew, before she even looked. "Turn around."

Echo stared at him blankly.

He was holding a gun. He was holding a gun directly at her and somehow she knew, she knew in the pit of her stomach that he would use it if he had to.