17

Zane in italics / Harry in bold

Zane Lowe / Harry Styles Interview
[Phone Call]

——————

Harry sits lazily with his purple dressing gown adorning his body, smiling as he hears Zane's voice project through his phone.

"It's 9am. And I'm currently joined with Mr Harry Styles! How you doing this morning?"

"I'm great! A little tired but good. How are you?"

A lack of sleep last night is clearly apparent in his voice. His tone is deeper than usual, also due to the the time.

"I'm great too! Now, your second album was released seven months ago but is still gaining commendation. So is your single Watermelon Sugar which you recently put out a music video for? How's it been these past seven months?"

"It's been crazy! Truly overwhelming. I was nervous for releasing this album - I mean I was for my first album as well but this one is a little more vulnerable I'd say. So for it to be so kindly received is wonderful."

Harry is overwhelmed by the reaction to his second album. He didn't believe it could possibly be any crazier than his first. Clearly he was wrong.

"Have you been writing new music lately?"

"Yeah actually. I think the whole lockdown thing really made me do a lot I should have been doing anyway. Like writing music or even just learning new instruments. It's been nice to have time to do that with no pressure."

"What about friends? I guess it's been hard to see people recently, but I've found to have reached out to mates that maybe I wouldn't have if the world didn't stop in the way it did."

Harry smiles ever so slightly. He's thinking of one person in particular.

"Definitely. It's certainly made me
reevaluate a lot. I think many people have. In such uncertain times, it's been important to just send a message to someone, you know.? Like catching up with old mates and making sure they're alright."

"Anyone in particular? The 1D boys?"

"Yeah-"

"Sophi perhaps?"

Harry's body stiffens a little. He didn't even imagine her name would come up. Nor did he think he would have to duck a question like that. He tried to laugh it off.

"...I didn't think you cared about my dating life, Zane."

"Who said anything about dating? I was talking about friends."

'Shit.' Harry thinks to himself. It's rare that he fucks up in interviews. He's normally unbelievably ambiguous.

"Yeah...well, I mean, you know. There's people in your life that you never seem quite to let go of. They remain with you regardless of whether you talk often or not. She's one of them."

As the words tumble out of his mouth, he knows people will analyse them. But for the first time in a while, he doesn't care if people work out who he's talking about. He doesn't care if the world knows he's still in love with Sophi.