Chapter 31: Don't Lie

Numb and sore are the only feelings I felt right now.

My eyes slowly open, trying to adjust to the bright rays of the light coming through the window. When I successfully open them up, I slowly sit up straight on the bed and take a deep breath while biting my lip as I feel pain in my back. I stay there for a bit to let the pain fade before I turn to the side and force myself to get out of bed.

I only stop when I see a fresh jug of water and breakfast already placed on my nightstand beside the bed. Feeling thirsty, I pour a glass of water and gulp it in one go. I ignore the pain in my back and push myself to stand up. Once when I am steady and okay I make my way to the bathroom.

Sometime afterward, I clutch the sink on both sides while staring at my reflection in the mirror. '

You look like a train ran over you' Eliz laughs in my head.

'And you sounded like the bitchy Claire' I deadpan and she let out a groan before responding, "don't compare me to that tramp." "If you say so," I tease her, raising my hand in surrender.

She closes our link calling me 'bloody ass.' I let out a small laugh, shaking my head twice. 'That wolf is so funny.'

I snap my eyes back to the mirror to assess myself. My eyes trailed my reflection until it rested on the bandage around my arm which brings back memories of why I'm in pain, and what shocked me the most. So, I take another deep breath. In and then out, trying to relax and to feel better.

'You know he saved us' I talk to Eliz when I know she has opened our link.

'No' she immediately replies.

'Eliz-' I start but she cut me off with a growl. I knew that she will refuse to listen.

'Don't Elle' she warns me. I let out a sigh and said, 'he deserves a thank you. At least-"

Eliz shut me out again. Damn! I slam my hand on the sink and curse at Eliz for being stubborn. All I am asking here is to listen and be thankful to Aaron for saving us from all the shit that we had gone through.

"Eliz," I try again but she doesn't bother to hear me out so, I just left her to be alone.

I take a shower before changing into a pair of skinny jeans and a black tee before wearing a denim jacket to warm myself.

When I am fresh and ready. I walk out of the room and went downstairs to see if I can catch sight of Aaron or anyone else. However, there was no one in the living room when I arrived downstairs. I stood there for a moment to see if anyone walked by and again no one showed up. Not wanting to waste another second waiting I decided to go check Aaron's office. I arrived in front of his office door and hear muffled voices coming from inside.

I knock on the door nervously before wiping away the sweat on my hands and then open it. No one speaks when they saw me enter the office. I rub my wet hand on my jean before closing the door behind me.

I turn around, facing the familiar eyes of some Alphas and Betas in the office. I assume I am not supposed to be here as I am interrupting their meeting.

"You're up," Conrad said and stood up from his chair. He smiles at me.

"Yeah," I answer and smile back at him.

"You shouldn't be in here" Eric's harsh tone made my smile fade and I glance at him only to be met with his stern look. Feeling of shame rush through me as I know that he is right. I mean I'm not an Alpha or Luna or beta. I pressed my lips together and said in return, "I'm sorry I'll just wait outside."

I didn't think twice as I turn around and opened the door. I stepped outside closing the door behind me and my eyes hot with tears. The meeting prolongs a little but I still wait. Once I hear the door open I lowered my head, avoiding everyone. My eyes watch footsteps pass by me.

A pair of light brown shoes stops before me. "Glad you're awake." I turn up to find Jay smiling at me. He lightly pats me on the shoulder.

"You lied to me," I blurted and he removed his hand from my shoulder.

"You said Zeus is your Alpha," I added. Jay rubs his neck before replying, "he is." I knitted my eyebrow in confusion at his words.

"I don't have one Alpha, Elle. Aaron is also my Alpha because my mother gave birth to me in his pack. Moonbridge is where I grew up. However, Alpha Zeus is my cousin and he trusted me to look after his Pack's affairs during his absence," he explains and I stood there speechless.

"I'm sorry for not telling you but he made me swear not to," he said and I hugged him. "

"Thank you," I said, making him smile.

"I have to talk to him. So, I'll see you around" I said and he pulled in for a hug before I walk back to the office's door. I knock on it again before re-entering the office. I see Aaron standing by the window.

"Alpha Aaron" I call out but don't look around. I walk closer to him and stand one meter away from him.

"Alpha Aaron," I said his name again and I saw him clenching his fist.

"What do you want Elle?" he asks and I could tell that he is frustrated with me. I take another step closer and place my hand on his shoulder. He turns to face me and I don't know what came up to me. I tip-toed and kissed Aaron on the cheek before he could react and push me away even though he didn't do that.

"Thank you," I sincerely told him and he doesn't say a word to me. I felt emotions overwhelm me.

"Thank you for not killing me when I disrespected you for crossing your territory. Thank you for coming back on that day and saving me from the hunters... thank you for saving me again from the Rogues," I sincerely told him as tears roll down my eyes.

I stop for a second to wipe my tears before I glance back at him and said, "I know I owe you so much and I know you promised Josh to protect me but I want to go home now."

The decision was a last-minute one when I just realized everything else while standing outside Aaron's office. I need to stop hiding and get involved with Aaron and Eric's packs. I do need to go somewhere far away from here and from everything that's happening.

"The hunters are still out there-" he didn't finish as I pressed my finger to his lips hushing him up.

It's funny how I dare to interact with him in such a way. Maybe because with him I always feel comfortable and somehow he had been a good person to me.

"They're after the witch now," I said and he removes my finger and shake his head from side to side.

"No Elle! They don't just want the witch to break the barriers again but they still want to kill you, Jay, and the others," he tries to reason with me.

I smile at him.

"Danger is everywhere and your top priority now is to protect Jea and the Moonbridge. So please grant me this one favor. Let me go back home," I beg him, hoping he would grant it but Aaron didn't say anything.

"Thank you again, Aaron," I said, knowing I won't get any answer from him soon.

I walk back to go pack my stuff, but his voice stops me.

"I didn't save you, Elle. I wasn't the one who did it."

I turn to find him staring back at me. This time I look him in the eyes, holding each other's gaze. He looks conflicted but then I couldn't tell whether he is lying or not.

I simply just smile at him.

"Don't lie to me, Aaron." And with that being said I left him there and went back to my room to start packing my clothes.