Part Nine

When they left the prison the next morning, the crowd of thousands was gone, leaving only telltale heaps of trash behind.

They traveled in caravan formation with the riot squad driving armored prison trucks in front and behind the Bentley. Clara stared absently out the window as the highway melted before them.

The prison had long ago disappeared into the scenery behind them. Miles of empty fields passed by as Clara and Watkins both sat in silence, neither expressing emotion to the other. Suddenly, Watkins leaned across the back seat of the Bentley and drew Clara toward him with his strong fingers entwined in her hair. His pull was irresistible, and the touch of his skin against hers produced an electric rush that reminded her of the pleasures they shared the night before.

She yearned for more.

After they completed a long passionate kiss, Clara shook her head as if throwing off a shroud and said,

“I understand now. You have the future in your hands, but they don’t realize your power yet. If you do this right they won’t figure it out until it’s too late. You know I can help you, yes?”

“That’s right princess, you’ve always been part of my plan. But before I trust you there’s something you have to do for me to prove your loyalty.”