(32) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I woke up next to Nathan this morning. Apparently, Ethan left the pillow fort to check his birdhouses while Nathan and I's body clock decided to malfunction, leaving us with a ton of awkwardness when we woke up limbs tangled cozily to one another. We haven't shared a bed since... ever. And yet waking up one morning next to him, felt hazily familiar.

"How was the sleepover, Bunny?" Kathie asks before sipping on her champagne.

I shove my fifth hors d'oeuvre of the evening and down it with my own champagne. "It was fine."

"If it had been fine, why are you stress-eating?"

I threw a thumb to Jessica next to me, engrossed with the food herself. "Jess is stress-eating too."

"Oh, sweetie, this is just eating. Maybe bored-eating, but mostly just eating. Charity events bore me to death."

Another waiter whirled past us and we grabbed more of the appetizers, exchanging unabashed looks when we pop it to our mouths in one go. Kathie suggested we go out. Attending one of the city's luxurious charity events wasn't I had in mind. And calls for a Champagne colored floor-length dress with an off-the-shoulder neckline I resurrected from Kathie's closet.

Still, it was better than a nightcap because it means bars and loud music which I cannot stand.

"So, you had a sleepover? Did you play mommy and daddy?" Jess says with a wag of her eyebrows.

I take another gulp of my champagne, securing there wasn't any loose strands from my upsweep. "We did."

She made a crowing noise. "Yeah? You guys stayed up until dawn?"

"Oh. We would if we played 'honeymooners' instead," I played along, my head pleasantly buzzing on champagne.

She fetches us both another glass when another waiter came by.

"Did you ask him about Sydney?" Audrey, finally, looks up from her phone.

Kathie and Jessica gave me their full attention. "Did you?"

"Uh-huh. You're both right. She's a passive-aggressive bitch—"

"Ha. Told ya."

I held out my glass to her. "And they're not together."

Audrey nods, a ghost of a smile on her face. "Good. Now you can sweep him off his feet with a clear conscience."

I laugh at that.

"Now has any of you seen Kylie? We need to go."

Jessica pouted at her friend. "Do you really have to go?"

"I have an early flight tomorrow."

Kathie leans in with a bright smile. "I saw her chatting with Matthew Parkinson."