"Martha Coleman's letters."

"Here." Samuel, the boy I usually sit next to in Chemistry, slides a notebook over to me.

I blink my eyes open and look up at him. He offers me a smile and I smile back before looking down at the book.

Distribution of chemicals into the four major environmental compartments.

I read the words and scan the rest of the pages.

Sedementation, hydrolysis, biota, global pollution such as acid rain.

"I noticed you weren't really paying attention," he chuckles, "so I took down notes for you."

That's so sweet.

"Thank you so much." I look up at him again and smile.

"No problem. I have to ask though, is everything okay? It's just that, I've never seen you sleepy in chemistry."

"I was helping my friend with her assignment and I'm also starting a project and I've got a meeting today so I was working on my presentation."

The friend is Peyton. She left her research paper on religion and gender inequality for the last minute and since Bianca was also busy, I had to help. The meeting is with Miss Betty at the center. We didn't really agree on a professional presentation but I still wanted to prepare.

Unfortunately I slept three hours later than usual, which means I only got two hours of sleep. The cups of coffee I had in the morning and at lunch don't seem to have done anything.

"That's a lot but I trust you can handle it." He stands up and starts packing away his books. "I'll see you around, Maya."

"Bye, Sam." I also stand up. "Thank you again for the notes."

He nods and gives me a smile before slinging his backpack over his shoulders. I wave goodbye as he walks out of the class.

Only a few students are still in here, talking to the professor. I quickly pack away my things and rush out.

Mason and I are meeting at Precious Children Center. He doesn't even need to be there but he said he wanted to come.

As soon as I set foot out of the class, my phone vibrates. I fish it out of my front pocket

I look down at the screen and smile.

"Lilly, hey." I resume walking.

"Sis, hi." She sounds like she's also walking. "We need to talk."

"Yeah, uhm... Sure, about what?"

"Aunt Alice." She replies and I stop in my tracks.

I have not spoken to my mom in almost a while. I don't answer her calls and sometimes, even dad's.

"What about her?" I resume walking, making my way out of the building.

"I don't think she's doing well."

"What do you mean?"

"You're not answering her phone calls, the two of you haven't spoken in months and the last time you did, you had a fight. That's what's wrong."

I feel a pang of guilt in my chest.

"I uh... I'll call her."

"Please." She releases a heavy sigh. "Now that that's out of the way, how are you?"

"Well obviously I'm not good; you just told me my mom isn't doing well." I shake my head.

"Yeah, you're right. Well, the baby and I are fine. I had a sonogram the other day."