Chapter 4

Brian and Kenzie are dating. It didn't even take a day. In fact, it took less than a day. Who knows how long he's been talking to her?

And as much as I hate him, I can't stop thinking about him. I must be some kind of masochist because I still listen to the songs he showed me and remember all of the late-night calls and hugs, and my first kiss. I never wanted to be that girl that cries over a guy but, fuck it, I cared about him

"He's literal trash," my friend, Maria, tells me for the millionth time. She's on speaker phone as I doodle in my calculus notebook. Initially, Maria called for homework help but it quickly turned into a Brian trash-talking session.

"I know he is. And I want to stop caring. I mean, I don't care but... I don't know."

"It's okay, Jennie," Maria says. "It's only been a short time since things ended and he CHEATED on you. That's, like, the lowest of lows."

The fact that my friends don't think that I'm overreacting is comforting. Hearing them smack talk him doesn't exactly hurt either.

"I just wish he didn't replace me so fast and make me look like a fucking loser. I-" My voice cuts off as I hear a suspicious rustling and scratching coming from my window.

What. The. Hell. What the hell. What the hell. What the hell.

Someone is breaking into my room. I'm going to get robbed. Or killed. Or both.

"Jennie?" Maria checks to see if I'm still there.

Grabbing my phone, I turn off the speaker and search for a potential weapon.

"Maria!" I yell-whisper. "I think someone's breaking into my house."

"What?" she says as I settle on a pair of scissors and a spray bottle of sunscreen. "Jennie, I told you to stop watching those true crime documentaries," Maria scolds as I tiptoe to the door.

At that moment, the window slides open and I scream, spraying the sunscreen like a madwoman.

"Jennie? What's going on?!" Maria asks over the phone.

She continues to try to talk to me but I'm busy spraying until I hear, "What the fuck?"

Wait. That voice...

No way.

Nico?