eight

i wake up suddenly, every thought in high definition. i reach my hand out in front of me, but it instantly gets swallowed up by the darkness surrounding. the air around is cold, heavy and silent. 

i roll onto my left side, feeling my way around with one hand, the other making sure i do not lose balance and fall off the side of what i assume to be a bed. 

my palms runs over a smaller surface of smoothed wood, nothing currently on it besides my hand which i pull away in a reaction to the material complaining. it creaks under my weight, but my focus shifts quickly, as light follows the walls around before disappearing. then it appears once again, but even shorter than before. 

in front of me, not far away, a curtain is blowing, light flooding in from underneath the fabric whenever it moves. 

everything in my body is buzzing like electricity running out into my fingertips and toes, and despite my lack of energy, my hearts is pounding like trying to keep me alive.

i close my eyes mumbling the word; 'ouch' as if to prepare myself before shifting my weight, allowing myself to fall off the edge. i land on the grown right below with a thud, flexing my muscles as the pain spreads. 

every limb i own feels a hundred times heavier than before. whatever liquid the fabric had been drenched in was somehow, still in my system, which could indicate that i hadn't been asleep for long. but still long enough to end up here, wherever i was. 

the curtain isn't more than a few steps away, but my feet refuse to carry me and it takes a while longer to drag myself across the floor. moonlight instantly floods in as i push the curtains to each side, sitting on the floor behind the glass that leads out to a smaller balcony. beneath, i had trouble making out the buildings in the darkness, but the moon revealed just enough for me to realise exactly where i was. 

the moonlight shone down on millions of tree-crowns on the outside of the wall that had been build as an extra lawyer of protection about the castle. on the other side, behind the locked, guarded gates, most of it laid completely black, hidden in the night. 

it was late, on the other side of midnight. why had i been brought here, and just left?

i needed to leave. i needed to get back to masiea, the town where graham's grandparents lived. i was alone, further away from my home that i had ever been in my entire life, and my body refused to function, which only made everything ten times harder. 

this was not how this week was supposed to go. anger and annoyance started to bubble up, as i realized the simply awful situation i was stuck in. and with annoyance came a bad idea. my legs surely put up a struggle, but i finally forced myself into a standing positions, heavily leaning against the wall. 

my chances of leaving unnoticed had skyrocketed as the sun went down, knowing most people would be asleep. 

moving along the walls i made it to the door making out the entrance of the room. i let my fingers run over the smoothed wood looking for a handle, but there was none. no handle, no lock, to hinges, nothing to get a grip on. how was that even possible? 

soon enough, however, as i had been attempting to find anything that even resembled a tool, useful or not, i heard a door open and shut, not far from here. the created creaking noise didn't go on for long, like was someone in a hurry, but they made sure not to make much noise. if i had still been asleep, i wouldn't even have been fazed. but i wasn't asleep, and i quickly noticed how the steps were coming closer, before coming to a sudden halt before passing my door.