4. Date Night

"I have a date tonight," Claire announced as she walked into the 4D loft. It had been about a month since she moved into the complex. She didn't bother to see who was there. There was always an audience in the loft.

"Congratulations!" Jess said, toasting with a glass of water from behind the counter. Was she ever not wearing a robe? Winston and Nick were at the table.

"Is he cute?" Jess asked.

"Very. I met him at the bar. You know, it's been so long since I've had a crush on a real person. It feels weird."

"A real person?" Winston asked, "As opposed to what? A robot?"

"A fictional character," Jess offered.

"Ooh, or a celebrity."

"Celebrities are real people, Winston," Jess pointed out.

"Are they, though?" he asked. Claire looked at him for a beat. Somethings were not worth delving into at six pm on a Saturday. That felt like a conversation that would take a while.

"Anyway," she began again, "I have no idea what to wear. So you guys get to help me." Schmidt walked out of his room in what Claire could only assume was a kimono made for a small child. His hair was a perfectly tousled mess and he blinked deeply several times as he surveyed the kitchen.

"Every day I wake up and there's another person in this loft. It's like we're a dog pound and we keep catching strays," he grumbled. He had apparently soured since Nick forbade him from hitting on Claire. Claire preferred this version of him, though. It felt closer to the truth. Actually, it was sort of growing on her.

"Hi Schmidt," Claire said. He nodded at her stiffly, aloof.

"You want to help me pick out an outfit?"

"Oh God, yes. Let me get my aniline leather notebook." Just as quickly as he appeared he was gone again.

"Why do I feel like I'm going to regret that?" Claire asked.

"Because you will," said Winston.

"Fair enough. Why did he just wake up?"

"He's on some weird power napping kick. It's his new thing," Jess supplied.

"Who's this guy from the bar?" Nick asked.

"His name is Colin. He's an architectural engineer."

"What the hell is that?"

"I don't know. All I know is he smells good and he's taking me out to dinner."

"You smelled him? Weirdo."

"I'm not a weirdo. He gave me his jacket."

"Still weird," Nick asserted.

"Okay, I'm going to get my clothes, and then you guys can help me decide."

"I can't stay. I'm meeting a friend for dinner," Winston said.

"I can't stay either," Nick said, "I have to do literally anything else besides watch Schmidt give a makeover."

"It's not a makeover. It's just telling me which dress looks the best. I only have three. Well, two and a half. Or should I wear jeans? Keep it casual?"

"You could borrow my overalls," Jess offered. There came shouting from inside Schmidt's room.

"Claire, do not accept any clothes from Jess, so help me God!"

"I'll be right back," Claire said.

She returned, as promised, five minutes later wearing the first dress and holding the others. Only Schmidt and Jess remained at the table.