Code

Song: Cliffy by Matt Maeson

"I'm finished" Louis said with a heavy sigh. His hand was cramping after hours of writing and his stomach was in knots from hunching over his desk for so long. He had a deep urge to rip the textbook in front of him to shreds and throw what was left of it against a wall; or better yet, at his fathers head.

"Good. Now write up chapter ten" His father replied as he peered over Louis' shoulder, inspecting his work like a teacher would at school. He moved away and began pacing the room behind him again, his heavy footsteps distracting Louis.

He had been woken up at six in the morning by the maid who informed him that his father was waiting downstairs in the general study for him. He had barely drunk down his cup of tea before his father had dropped a stack of textbooks in front of him, demanding he got to work.

Louis closed his eyes and sunk his head down onto the table, the cool surface relieving his headache only slightly. "Can't I have a break? I've been working for hours" he pleaded, trying his best to ignore the tight pain in his lower back.

"Already slacking?" Mark scoffed as he looked out the window. It was a miserable day, the sky was grey and rain was hammering down against the glass panels of the window. "You used to love studying"

He didn't. He only pretended he did in order to please his father.

"But it's all I ever do" Louis groaned, lifting his head only to cringe at the sight of his textbook. "When I'm at school, I study. When I'm here, I study. I've already gone over these same books a million times. I bet I could remember them word for word by now"

"So do it" His father turned back to him, a coy smile on his face. "Recite chapter ten to me and I'll let you have a break" he picked up the textbook and flipped through a few pages. "Ready when you are"

Louis faltered, his brows furrowing as he stared back at his father in disbelief. Seriously? Maybe on a good day, yes, he could remember it. But right now his head was pounding, he was still half asleep and he couldn't think of anything other than his desire to go back to school.

"But I-"

"I don't want your excuses. If you think you don't need to study because you can remember the textbooks then you will prove that to me. If not, you can continue with your studies and quit complaining" Mark interrupted sharply, watching Louis expectantly.

"Why do you care so much about my education if I'm just going to take over the family business anyway? I don't get it" Louis replied with genuine curiosity. "Why not teach me about that? What good will a book on biology do?"

"You're too young to know about the business yet, though that will come sooner than you think. But for now I want an intelligent son and you're proving that rather difficult"

"I am intelligent. I'm the top student, isn't that enough?"

"Are you? I heard Styles was showing you up last month" Mark said with a taunting smirk. "It seems you have some competition"