Chapter 01 - Old Mansa

Chapter 01 – Old Mansa

Sinaï

There is a spirit on the far east side of the village. He is said to grant wishes to those who give him something in exchange. I've long wished to escape this grievous village, where half the people are infants and the other half are nearing the end of their lives. I desire to travel around the world and see all the wonders it has to offer. I want to see people whose skin is as white as snow and those whose skin is comparable to sand. To meet people who look like me but aren't. To touch the snow that is so cold—colder than any winter I've ever experienced. I want to see the savannah, the vast forest, the dry desert, and the mountains. Just as I had learned from the few visitors who passed through the village.I want to see something other than this dead forest that encircles my miserable village.

To, like old Mansa, be the eye that has seen it all. He was a king who stepped down from his throne in order to travel all over the world. After seeing everything and writing about it, he made the decision—for some reason I will never fully understand—to live out the rest of his days in this particular village. Fortunately for me, old Mansa improved my quality of life by enlightening me about the world that exists beyond the intangible barriers that kept me confined to this incredibly self-sufficient village.

It's not very big in my village. Here, 100 people or so reside. We work in the field to feed ourselves. We exploit the nearby dry forest by hunting and picking. I've learned how to work in the fields, hunt, fish, climb trees, and gather fruit. I've learned which herbs and plants are edible, which are medicinal, and which are toxic. I have mastered the ability to defend myself against predators, both animal and human.

But nothing terrifies me more than the possibility of dying in this village without ever leaving it. I've often imagined waking up, packing my things, and leaving without looking back...but I simply can't

I made the decision to visit old Mansa today after my villager friends and I returned from our weekly hunt. Due to my intense workload, I haven't seen him in a few days. While carrying his dinner, I once more crossed Aldo's path on my way there.

"Peace be upon you, my love," he said.

I sighed, "Peace be upon you. I am not your love, Aldo," I said flatly, "And I will never agree to your demand."

I left without waiting for his response. Aldo came to ask for my hand in marriage, as a few others had done before. But I declined. For the time being, I do not seek marriage. I want to experience life outside of this prison before I ever consider getting married. Accepting a marriage proposal from anyone in this community would mean eternal confinement, and I do not want that.

When I get to Old Mansa's house, I take off my shoes before knocking and entering.

"Peace be upon you," I said

"Peace be upon you, child," replied old Mansa.

He said thank you after I placed the dinner next to him. In this village, Old Mansa is adored and held in high regard. Life in this miserable village has gotten better ever since he arrived. He shares knowledge about the outside world while teaching children to read and write. Old Mansa taught us all many skills that we all use on a daily basis.

A few months after my mother's passing, this not-so-old man, who was around 50 wintering, arrived. After my mother passed away, he started to feel like the father I was missing. He gave me hope that I, too, would experience happiness and realize my dreams one day.

Every day, someone brings food to old Mansa. Not only he, but all the elders who have no family receive three meals a day from the other households. The women discuss among themselves who will bring food for the elderly every day. Despite the fact that I hate this village, the people living in it are very kind. No one is ever left aside. When a woman gets sick and can't take care of her household, the other woman helps her cook, clean, and take care of her household. When an elderly person can't take care of themselves, they are taken care of. When there is a celebration, we all participate. We share everything equitably.

Without looking away from the diary he was holding, he asked, "Have you been applying the mixture that I gave you?"

"Yes, old Mansa."

He continued, "And the pain, is it gone?"

"Yes, it is," I remarked after moving my shoulder in a circle.

I was struck by a boar two weeks ago while out hunting with the other villagers. Thankfully, other than a dislocated shoulder, I was unharmed. And because his meat was so good, it was all worthwhile. After the hunt, I went to see old Mansa, and he realigned my shoulder. I was unsure at the time as to which hurt me more—the pain in my shoulder or his reprimands.

He finally put his journal away and grinned as he turned to face me. "You still respond to me in the same way that you did 14 winters ago," he said.

When I think back to the day I first met old Mansa, I smile.

My mother passed away in the winter of my seventh year. My father underwent a significant change a month later. He was no longer the devoted father I had known growing up. He wandered all day, setting out early in the morning and returning late at night. The villagers were more like family to me than my own father, so I was alone in my suffering. Even though they took care of me, I still remember how much pity I saw in their eyes. I lost my mother, and my father became a drunken old man.

I had made up my mind to leave this depressing village. I went into our hut and looked through some of my belongings. I also searched for my mother's necklace. She promised I could wear it when I was old enough, but I didn't want to leave without it. It is the only memory I have of her.

I walked out of the village without looking back and into the dying forest. After a few kilometers of walking, I came across a wild animal—you guessed it—it was a boar. They don't seem to be very fond of me.

There I was, a helpless young child in front of a large boar. I had no idea how to fight or even stand my ground against this beast at the time. I knew my moment had come. I was happy and terrified at the same time. At the very least, I was going to join my mother wherever she was. The beast ran toward me, and I was frozen, scared for my life. That's when a man on a horse dressed in blue appeared from nowhere. He cut off the beast's head with a single swing of his sword, which caused it to fly and land a short distance away. The dead body was in front of me, leaking blood near my feet.

What had happened still left me feeling uneasy. I didn't move or speak; I was trapped inside my body until the man in blue spoke to me. "What is a child doing all by herself in this hazardous forest?"

I muttered, "I was running away."

He commanded me, "Speak up."

"I was escaping," I yelled. My lips were quivering, and my eyes were wet. I was still terrified and upset with myself. I was expected to have courage. I vowed to my mother that I would be courageous. I, however, was a coward!

He continued to be on his high horse and asked, "Where are you running towards?" I didn't know how to respond to that. I had no idea where I was going; the only thing I was certain of was that I didn't want to stay in my village. I didn't want to see my father. "It's not very nice of you to abandon your parents, is it?"

"My mother died, and my father... I no longer consider him to be my father!" I responded while attempting to contain my tears.

"A child should never be alone in the forest. Let me take you to your village, please,"he said. He held out his hand, awaiting my acceptance. "I do not want to return home." I confessed

"Would you prefer to remain here? It's almost dawn, and I've heard that the night has scary creatures. They are shadows with red eyes and...fangs!"

I ran in his direction and took his hand. I was already terrified. I didn't want to see anything else. He asked me to show him the way to my village, and while we were riding there, we chatted.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Sinaï" I simply replied.

"You need to develop a few skills if you want to leave this village," he said.

"Really?" I said this with a big smile on my face. I smiled for the first time in a month.

"Yes, and in the meantime, I will tell you about the outside world," he continued.

"Who are you, anyway?" I asked, curious.

"Me?" He said. "I am the man who has seen it all."