Part Three

At home, Victoria would wear William's clothes.  His favorite sweatpants and hooded sweater were pretty much her around-the-house uniform.  They got pretty dirty, since the washing machine was inaccessible, but she got them dry cleaned every once in a while.  As soon as Victoria would get them back home, she would take his cologne and dowse the clothes.

    She needed his smell.

    Today she sat in the middle of the living room.  

    Mounds of belongings surrounded her.  she was trying to sort things. Organize.  Clean.

    Victoria had a large garbage bag sitting next to her, so she was prepared to throw some things out.

    "OK!" She said out loud "Let's get going!"

    The first thing in front of her was an empty, broken picture frame  The glass was cracked, and the detailing along the side was all smashed up.

    "Alright!" She said to cheer herself on. "This one can be garbage! Ha! There we go!" She put the frame in the bag.  "Item number two!" She went on. "What do we have here? A stack of unused paper plates." She let out a huge sigh.  

    They were the plates William and Victoria had bought for their five year anniversary party.  They had both gotten sick the night before, so they had to cancel last minute.  Despite being sick himself, William had taken care of her all weekend.  He brought her soup and fresh blankets. Did whatever she had needed, even though she never asked.  It had been one of the defining moment in their relationship where she knew I wanted to be with him forever.

    Victoria could not throw out these plates.

    "Why are you even in here anyways?" She said to the plates, "You belong in the kitchen." And she set them aside.

    Picking up the next item, was an old sandwich container.  It's lid was missing, and the corner had been caved in from being stepped on. "Garbage!" She tossed it into the bag with the frame.  She smiled with satisfaction.

    There was a knock at the front door.  "Victoria? Are you home?" She heard her boss's voice call from outside.

    Victoria froze, trying not to make a noise.

    "Victoria, it's me, Melanie from work.  You left your wallet at the store, I just wanted to return it!" She knocked some more.

    Damn it! How could I have been so stupid!  

    The mail slot on the front door started to wiggle, but the packing tape she had used held tight.  Victoria liked her privacy, and was terrified of the thought of someone peaking in at her through the slot.  She must have been trying to slide the wallet through.  The flap wiggled some more, but finally stopped.  Victoria breathed a sigh of relief.  Hopefully the boss was leaving.

    The cell phone that sat next to her on the floor, started to play music.  Melanie's name popped up on the screen.

    Her heart beat quickened.

    "Victoria? Victoria? Are you home?"

    She must be able to hear my phone.  

    Nerves of anxious energy swirled inside her.  Victoria did not move.  

    The phone kept ringing.      

    The boss kept knocking.

    She did not move.

    She did not make a noise.

    Closing her eyes, she tried to pretend that none of this was happening.

    She focused on the smell of  William's cologne.  She tried to imagine him there, sitting with her.  

    If he were here, none of this mess would have happened.  William hated a mess.  William loved to clean.

    "Victoria!  Are you home?" She heard Melanie call again.  

    The phone stopped ringing and the knocking halted.

    A text message from Melanie popped up.

    Melanie: hey vic u 4got ur wallet @ work 2day.  tried 2 return it but u must not have heard. let me kno when i can come by w/ it.

    I let out a sigh of relief.  I could reply in a little while saying I was in the shower.  We could meet up for coffee, and I will get my wallet back.  Melanie, I am sure, will be flattered for the invitations.  She had tried to make plans with me before, but really, I am not interested in hanging out with my boss.  

    The whole incident left me feeling flustered.  

    I wished I had my wallet so I could go shopping.

    "Damn it!"

    I  went upstairs, to hide the in the pile of Williams clothes.

    Just as I was about to lay down, I suddenly realized something.  The picture frame I had thrown out earlier, had been a gift from William.  He had bought it on a whim while on a boy's weekend away.  He had missed me.  It did not need the glass in the front, and I was sure I could paint over the damage at the side.

    I maneuvered down the stairs as quickly as I could.  There was a lot of clutter, filling up either side of the steps.  I had to be careful and walk right down the middle.  I was unable to hold onto either hand railed very easily.

    Hoping over junk in the living room, I stubbed my right pinky toe twice before reaching the garbage bag.  

    Reaching inside, I grabbed out the picture from.  I knocked the broken glass back into the garbage.  Holding the frame tight to my cheat, I made my way back upstairs.

            *        *        *

    "It was a beautiful funeral." Her father said as he drove her back home.

    "Yes." Victoria said.  "It was."

    "How about you come stay with me for a little while?  I'm worried about you, ya know?"

    "I don't think so, Daddy.  I really just need to be alone for a while.  But I will come visit on the weekend, OK?"

    Her father let out a sigh, "OK hunny, whatever you think is best." He paused, then continued, "Take care of your self now, alright?"

    "Of course Daddy." She stuggled to show a smile. "I'm going to be just fine."

    He pulled into her driveway and put the car into park.

    "Now listen dear," he said with a serious tone.  "When your mother left, I was devastated.  I am sure you can remember many of those bad habits I fell into."

    "Don't worry Daddy," She interrupted. "I really will be fine, I promise."  She went to open the door and climb out, but he reached out and held her hand.

    "Please Vicci, dear."

    "It's alright Daddy, I wont make the same mistakes." She pulled her hand away and stepped out of the car.

    In a sudden rush, her father undid his seat belt and left out after her.  "Gimme a hug now," he said walking around the car with arms spread.  "I love you baby girl."

    "I love you too, Daddy."

    "Just remember, you can always ask for help, anytime."

    "I know, Daddy," Victoria said. "I know."