[8] Constructive Criticism

What do you think constructive criticism should be about?

Emmie: Anything that helps you to grow as a writer.

Constructive criticism is always a tough thing to give and take. I mean, you never know how the person is going to handle what you say, or if they will be appreciative or upset about your advice. Some people (like myself) welcome critique with arms wide open, while others just want to hear the positive details and are only looking for support.

It’s important to separate those who take writing on a more serious level and are looking to get published or self-publish (because these writers are often looking for ways to grow—and to better their work), from others who just write for fun. What I do, is after reading their works, I normally take the time to check out their ‘about me’ section on the Wattpaders’ profile.

Normally, this will give you a good idea as to how they will take the critique. If it says something like, “I just got started” or “I’m new to all this” you don’t want to be too hard on them, because it might discourage them from writing. In this case, what I’d suggest is complimenting them and focusing more on the good details, rather than the bad to build their confidence. Then, maybe send them a private message (so other people can’t see, and it’s not publicly said) and give them a few tips and pointers. Try to relate to them, and how they must feel being new to writing, but of course try to wrap up your critique with some encouraging words.

This brings me to my next issue; it all depends on how you word it. I mean, I think we can all agree (being writers and readers) that words can make a big impact on how we all think and feel. Writing is something personal, and it’s always difficult to share your works at first, so often it’s better to take on a supportive role when critiquing: treat people how you’d like to be treated.

EG:

“Hey, I just read your work, and couldn’t connect with the story whatsoever. Seems like a lot of work needs to be done, as I noticed a ton of errors. All the best.”

OR…

“Hey, I just read your work and think the idea of your story is really good—not to mention the awesome cover! I do however, have just a few pointers, like that you (insert a few examples of mistakes they wrote here), but don’t worry—it’s an easy fix (explain why they are errors and how to improve them). All the best! Keep writing!”

Which comment would you rather receive?

Words are such a powerful thing; they can make or break something, so why not take five more minutes to help another fellow writer out? Instead of pointing out what errors they’ve made, explain to them how they can improve these mistakes. Try to relate to them, and be supportive rather than just knit pick. And you’d be surprised what difference those few extra words can make.

Vicky_nfs: Positive and Negative Aspects.

Not everyone likes criticism, whether it’s real harsh or constructive. However, getting criticism – preferably the constructive kind – can be very helpful. As a writer you have this whole world created in your head and even though you have it all sorted out in your head, sometimes it may look confusing and/or weird to other people. That’s where the criticism comes in very handy.

Constructive criticism is, for me, all about pointing out where and how to improve. It’s not just pointing out an endless list of mistakes, but tips on what could make it even better. It can be about spelling, grammar, punctuation, story line, characters, speed of the story and so on and on.

Comments that say “I loved it” are nice to read, it’s always nice to know that other people enjoyed what you have written. Nonetheless, it’s really helpful to know WHAT other people liked about what you wrote. That way you know what to keep doing, what not to change. Thus, constructive criticism can also be about positive things, pointing out the good things in your story; for example a great twist in the plot, good choice of cliffhanger, great use of words, personalities well portrayed…

Criticism isn’t only about pointing out what should be changed, but also about what should stay and what you did right. Therefore, the perfect comment for me contains a little of both and as I write comments, I’ll always try to do the same for other people because I know how much of a help it can be.

Leigh19: Practical feedback

I think constructive criticism should be constructive - meaning anything positive. Simply telling someone their work is awful is not practical feedback. 

Personally, I think the person critiquing should be somewhat sensitive to the writer's feelings, after all it's like their baby. They put their time and effort into it and just bashing it might upset the writer to the point where they'll ignore the feedback.

I think there's nothing wrong with sharing your opinion, maybe giving them ideas to make their writing more solid as well as pointing out grammatical errors.

The one thing that bothers me about constructive criticism is when people think that they’re doing it by saying: "This is boring." This is just stating what you think is wrong with someone's writing, why not actually give them pointers they could use like:  "You ramble too much and you are overly descriptive." That may not be the nicest way to put something but it's certainly better than stating what's wrong with it and not providing ways to make it better.

 If you can help make someone's writing better you're also going to help make a better writer.