Chapter 6

Sidra and Baron were only about a half-hour down the road when Baron began to complain about the fact they were stuck walking again. It was a wide road, heavily trafficked by horses and wagons. The two of them had decided to follow along the side of it, close to the trees, to avoid horses and carts of the others who used this road. At first, it had reminded her of Selene, but it had grown to be insufferable by this point. Sidra was well-aware that they had been walking for days, and it wasn't ideal for her either, but the incessant whining from her companion had started to get on her nerves.

"My feet hurt," he whined, "Why must we always be walking."

"It's the best we can do," Sidra offered with a sigh. "If you have any better ideas I'd love to know."

She reached up and rubbed at her temples, she did not like the wave of agitation that had started to overcome her.

"I'd rather be sleeping underground again right now," Baron said.

"Would you really?" she asked. "I'd be happy to make that happen."

"No, not really," he corrected himself.

"Then quit complaining," she said.

"I'm helping you find your sister," he said with a huff, "the least you could do is be nice to me."

"Can we just walk? Please?" She picked up her pace and left several feet between her and Baron.

She was relieved when he didn't say more, instead, the two walked in silence until the sun began to set behind the trees. The constant walking became routine when she didn't have to focus on anything else around her. If her mind was thinking of other things, she realized she could walk on for hours and not notice.

"This is so boring," Baron whined.

"And? What am I supposed to do about that?"\

"Why don't you tell me about yourself?" Baron suggested.

"Why?"

"Well, we're stuck together for an indefinite amount of time. We might as well get to know each other better."

"I don't need any friends, thanks."

"Oh, come on," he said. "I'm so bored and my feet hurt."

"Alright, if it stops the complaining," she rolled her eyes. "What do you want to know?"

"Well, let's start easy. What's your favorite color?"

"Green," she said shortly.

"Why?" she'd never been asked why before.

"Uh, I like plants," she shrugged, "I like the way the sun hits the ferns on a good day and the green shines a bit. I don't know. Just, green."

"This is when you ask me what my favorite color is," Baron said.

"Uh, alright, what's your favorite color?"

"Blue," he answered.

"Why?"

As Sidra walked she could not shake off the feeling that someone had been following them. She heard the sound of a twig snap in the forest next to her, she looked around again but Baron hadn't seemed to notice that anything was awry. She tried to tell herself that it was just an animal that had strayed too close to the road in the forest next to them.

She didn't know when it happened, but Baron was walking next to her again, she was glad he wasn't still whining about the walk. The two of them spotted the building nestled just off the main road at the same time.