Epilogue

Author's Note: Some Howl's moving castle AU art from the same artist who did the cover @Kurobara_Black feels like the perfect way to bring the story full circle

Seven Years Later

Annette

"Mommy! Mommy! Hurry up!"

I laughed, trying my best to keep up with the child who, despite his small size, was practically bounding through the woods.

"Slow down, Percy," I called after him. "You don't want to trip and fall, now do you?"

Skeever grinned at me. "Remember how much we all used to hate the Haunting Ball? Now it's everyone's favorite event of the year."

Six years ago, Vandel, Ridley, and I had agreed to change the Haunting Ball from an event that occurred twice in a lifetime to an annual celebration of the peace between the three kingdoms. At first I was afraid our people would be upset by this, but over the years it had become a cherished celebration, allowing many humans and demons to meet and form close friendships.

I smiled at Skeever, wrapping an arm around his waist. "That's true. Though...I think our son is less excited about the party itself and more excited about seeing--"

"UNCLE RIDLEY! UNCLE VANDEL!" Percy called excitedly, taking off running as we entered the clearing.

At its entrance stood a giant Bone Monster, a silent guardian to protect the partygoers in the clearing. Ridley had turned the monsters from beasts to be feared into creatures of protection. Often, whenever either kingdom needed defense or assistance, Ridley would arrive and provide one of the creatures.

And speaking of Ridley...

I looked to my son who was hurtling himself towards the two kings.

Vandel grinned, scooping the boy up into his arms. "There's my favorite godson!"

Ridley gave his hair a little ruffle, beaming at his godchild before he finally turned to face us. "How was the journey?"

"Good," Skeever said with a nod. "It's much easier traveling through these woods now that the new road between the kingdoms has finally been completed."

Still balancing the child in one arm Vandel removed a small parcel tied up with silver ribbon.

"Here," he said. "I got this for you."

Percy's eyes grew wide. "For me? Really!?" Grinning, the boy opened the present to reveal a small velvet cape with intricate designs of rabbits made of diamonds sewn into the fabric. The child gasped. "This is amazing! I'm going to wear it every single day for the rest of my life!"

I shook my head. "Vandel, this must have cost a fortune. How can we accept such a gift..."

"Pah, I'm the demon king. I can afford it. Besides, it would be a crime to rob him of such a stylish item when he has the same wonderful taste in fashion as his godfather."