Chapter Six

SKY'S LETTER

Dear Joy,

This is Sky. I know you must be worried sick about me, but I'm sorry: I can't go back. I will be disgraced and banished, and that would be even worse than what I already went through.

I was first captured by a thug named Goldenknife. He kidnapped me and took me to his place. He wanted to use me to make clothes for him to sell. He apparently is the head of an illegal business that sells overly expensive clothes and weapons for rich people.

He had an assassin, assistant, and spy named Alan. Alan rescued me, and together we found his parents and sister. He had been stolen from his family by Goldenknife when he was very little.

I am staying with them, and I am breathing fresh air, and everything is okay now, but Goldenknife might be hunting us down this very second.

I really, really miss you, Joy. You missed out on a lot of fun events when you said no to me. I hope I can see you someday when everything is truly safe. 

I am looking forward to the day when we can see each other.

Love,
Sky

P.S. Just in case you decide to come to visit one day: Alan's address is 1239 Clockworker Street.

P.P.S. Keep leaving letters in the letter chute. I will come to pick them up and read them. 

JOY

There was a letter in the letter chute that was addressed to her. The letter had giant red letters all over it: IF YOU'RE NOT JOY, DON'T OPEN THIS. IF YOU'RE NOT JOY, LEAVE THIS LETTER ALONE. IF YOU'RE NOT JOY AND OPEN THIS LETTER, YOU WILL MEET A HORRIBLE END. 

Joy was intimidated, to be honest. She hid the envelope from the eyes of the other people. Could it be from her uncle, who was a spy in the Ersian palace? Or was it from her father's cousin, whose job was to take pictures of animals and bring them back to the underground city? But they would not put threats in red ink all over the letter. It had to be from somebody else.

Joy entered her room and curled over the letter. She gently opened the seal and pulled out a paper that had been typed on.

The letter was from Sky! She was okay! Joy suppressed a scream of happiness and read on. She was sad that Sky couldn't return, but it was good that she was alive. 

She folded the paper and put it inside her drawer. Her heart was beating very fast. She's okay. She's alive. 

She probably found her true love.

Joy took a stabilizing breath. It's okay, Joy. You'll find your own true love eventually.

Who knows, it could be Jack.

Joy squashed that train of thought and went outside of her cave, grinning. "Jack!" she yelled as she saw the boy strolling through the hallways. "I'm ready for a swimming lesson!"

SKY

She got a letter from Joy. It was splendid. It told that she had a crush on Jack (to what Sky laughed her head off) that she swam nearly as good as Jack (to what Sky felt slightly jealous) and that she desperately missed her and hoped they could meet someday, but her parents would have a heart attack if she vanished and never came back.

"You and your friend are so cute," Nettle, who was reading the letter over Sky's shoulder, snickered. "I miss you, I miss you." "Stop talking like that," Sky said fiercely. "It's as if you don't have a friend at all."

"I don't have friends," Nettle said proudly. "I have allies and followers. And I am never so mushy with them."

Sky glared at her. "Why are you even here?" she demanded, standing up and clenching her fists. "This is my house," Nettle said slowly, as if if she said it faster Sky wouldn't understand. "My parents pay for it and they paid for all the stuff in this room. I have every right to be here."

"They're my parents, too," said a voice. Wings appeared on Sky's heart. It was Alan. "You didn't even live here!" Nettle scoffed. "But they're still my parents," Alan said stubbornly. "And you're just a mean rhinoceros nostril."

Nettle's eyes filled with tears but she hid them. "Apologize!" she said. "I hardly even know you," Alan said. "But you have made a horrible impression on me. Sorry, but I'm not sorry."

Nettle made a furious noise and stormed away, her knuckles showing white through her skin. "Are you okay?" Alan asked, grabbing Sky's hands and holding them. "Yes," Sky said with a casual shrug. "She's just as bad as Clove or Rhine."

"Uh--" Alan said, "Who are they?" "Two massively annoying jerks," Sky growled. "Clove pushed me into a frigid lake and nearly killed me, and Rhine has a massive ego." "Wow," Alan said. "Anyway, let's come down for breakfast." 

Sky smiled at him. "Okay," she said, following him downstairs.

----

A/N

Nothing interesting in this chapter, really. Now, time for a TIME JUMP!!!!!! Two years into the future. What's going to happen?

-Blizzard