24

Derek

I think Ash was wrong when she told me I had nothing to worry about when it came to Jordan because watching him from the bench, in my position, practicing with my team, makes me want to hurl my fist into his face.

I'm not usually a hot headed person, but when it comes to hockey and my future, that's when I can get a little heated. I glare daggers watching Coach explain to Jordan the next play. Why the hell am I even here if he wanted Jordan this whole time? Granted, Jordan is not allowed to play in games since he joined mid season, but I wouldn't be surprised if I suck ass the rest of the season and he shines so he takes my spot in my senior year.

There is no way I am letting that happen. A few minutes later, Coach blows the whistle calling the end of practice and I race myself to the locker room to get the hell out of here.

I hit the showers before my other teammates even get their skates off. I quickly shower and grab my clothes, not even making eye contact with my teammates as the pass me.

"D," Brooks calls from opposite of me. I look up at him and he looks confused. "Why is Brody takin' your spot?"

I shake my head and shrug. "Hell if I know," I say, flatly.

Brooks' confused expression deepens. "Well the guy is not as good as he thinks, or as much as Coach thinks. Dude, he can't even play till next season. Just kick ass and he won't have anything on you." He says.

I don't make eye contact with him as I stare down at the shoelaces I just tied. "Thanks man, I'm gonna head out." I say.

"You seeing Ash tonight?" He asks, curiously.

I shake my head. "Nah, she has a study group and then a project to finish. She told me I would distract her." Despite my sour mood, a small smile grows on my face thinking of our conversation on how she refused to let me come because I would distract her.

Brooks laughs and he tells me goodbye as I head out. As I walk toward the doors I pass by the jackass himself. The douche just brushes past me without a second glance. If he wasn't Ash's cousin there would be a lot I would like to say to him. But I ignore it and take my sour self to my car and start driving.

Driving usually helps clear my mind. And there is a lot that occupies me lately. My mom keeps bugging me about seeing her and I just can't do that right now. With school, hockey, and well I really don't want to leave Ash, I just can't afford to be gone for a week or so.

My mom started dating her boyfriend Lance about a year ago. He's some stockbroker from Jersey and apparently he's loaded. Which I bet is exactly what my mom wants. I roll my eyes at the thought. Sure, I love my mom, I really do. She can just be very single minded sometimes.

When my dad died, I got a bunch of money that I could use when I turned eighteen and my mom of course got some too. My money went to college and also pays for the house the guy's and I live in. I might as well use the money when it's important because if where I want to go with hockey takes me there, I don't need a crap load of money that goes to no use. I've never been someone who cared about money. With my mom as a lawyer and a NHL player as a dad, money was never something that really ran out.

And that's not me complaining, it's just there is so much more to life than what's in my bank account. Like Ash. Her parents aren't the richest people in the world. But they are happy and love their daughter. But when I saw Ash's aunt's house, I wasn't as shocked about the house, I was shocked that Ash's family doesn't care about the money or the big house. They just like spending time together and having their own life's.

I've been debating if I should tell Ash that I love her. The look on her face when she saw her Christmas gift made me want to blurt it out. But I held back. And I don't know why. I've never felt this way about someone before and it's all new to me. There have been girls but not ones like Ash. She's kind, funny, and not such a pushover. She's not super into what she looks like and just likes being herself. It's exactly what I admire so much about her. And it's the exact reason why I'm not too excited for when my mother meets her.