Epilogue

June 1808

The wedding was in three days and Emmeline was cleaning out the apartment above the shop. While she would still work there, she wanted to collect her personal items that she wanted to keep at Mooreland Park.

She had cleaned out her room and was putting off the inevitable. She had scarcely entered into her father's room since his passing.

As she entered, vivid memories flooded her mind. She tried to focus on the good ones, before he became sick. She knew he would be happy for her, but she did wish her parents would be there. Louisa had found some lace from her mother's wedding dress that the dressmaker had expertly incorporated into her dress, but she still felt like something was missing.

~

She had finished cleaning most of the room. All that was left was the stack of books by the bedside. Tales of far away places and the fairy folk, these were the adventures that made up her childhood. A tear slid down her cheek as she collected the books. These would be going with her of course. She dared not part with them.

As she put them in the trunk, an envelope slid out. She picked it up and recognized instantly her father's hand.

The letter was addressed to her. She sat upon his bed and gingerly opened it. She gasped at the date, November 3rd. It was the night he had passed.

~

My dearest Emmeline,

You and I both know it is high time I rejoin your mama in the immortal realm and I pray that when this letter finds you you know that I am at peace beside her, marveling at you from above. You were the very best of your mother, and I am sorry I did not make life easier for you upon her passing. I am afraid, my dear, you had to grow up rather quickly. You suddenly had to run a household, a business, and a grieving man at far too young an age.

As my time in this earthly realm draws near its end, I must tell you how sorry I am. At the end of one's life, one realizes the mistakes he has made and wants to desperately make amends for it.

You have such a giving and loving spirit, my dear, one that has been burdened by the constant care of everyone except yourself. Do not let the labors of the day allow you to forget the magic the world still has to offer. You are far too young to be so serious. There is so much life for you to live, and I do not want my passing to be an excuse to shudder yourself away from the world. I allowed myself to do so after your mother's passing and I have regretted it ever since.

You have the opportunity to love, my dear, I have seen the way you look at him, and he at you. Do not deny yourself this because you are afraid. A love that you two have is rare. People will always talk, but there will be another scandal to take it's place. If you allow the thoughts of others or the "propriety" of things get in the way of your happiness then I am afraid I have done you a disservice by not instilling in you the only virtue you need in life.

If your actions are guided by love, then nothing else matters.

Love is the greatest healer of all my dear. It is what led me to your mother, created you, and drew you to the little girl with golden ringlets and a man finally worthy of you.

If you two find each other after my passing, know that you have my eternal blessing.

You were the greatest thing to ever happen to me ,my dearest Emmy. I hope you have the greatest of adventures after my passing.

Love always,

Papa

~

Three days later

Emmeline was as regal as a fairy princess as she walked down the aisle. Matilda had even made her a flower crown to adorn her head. 

"Are you ready, my dear?" Dr. Keller asked, holding out his arm.

Emmeline took a deep breath and looked down the aisle to the man waiting for her at the end. He caught her eye and Emmeline felt a sense of peace. She saw kindness, joy, and most of all an abundance of love in those eyes. She took Dr. Keller's arm and straightened her shoulders. She had never been more ready for anything in her life.

~

Hi Everyone!

Here is the long awaited ending to "The Apothecary's Daughter". I have loved every minute of writing this. I appreciate everyone who took the time and had the patience with me to get to this point. I've been working on it for so long that Daniel, Emmeline, and Matilda feel like close friends at this point but I am excited to start on another character's new adventure.

-Mary