03

Chapter 3 | Short Temper

Jimin casually walked back to the station. His mind still on his first encounter with you. He couldn't help but smile slightly at even the thought of you. The dramatic tendencies that you had, the way you laughed, the way you interacted with Hyojung and Seunghee, and even the way you became a totally different person when you saw Seunghee uncomfortable, it was like it was burned into his memory. But he didn't mind it. Not one bit.

When he got to his desk, he sat down, looking over the notes of the Seunghee case. The smile not leaving his face.

"Did something good happen?" A Wolf Hybrid, who was occupying the desk across from him asked, raising his eyebrows. The Wolf Hybrid was Detective Kim Namjoon, Jimin's partner and one of his six mates.

"I met someone very interesting," Jimin said, his eyes sparkling.

"Really?" Namjoon asked, amused.

"Hyojung-ssi has a cousin who's going to be living with her and Seunghee-ssi," Jimin began to explain. "Her name is Y/N, and she's my age. She seems like a nice person. I think we can be good friends."

"Really?" Namjoon was taken aback.

The younger Hybrid was usually shy, although he didn't act like it when he had on his uniform. He was more of the observant type and not the one who initiated a conversation with people he didn't know. The fact that he seemed to take an immediate liking to you was interesting to Namjoon.

"Mhmm, she's very dramatic, I think she'll get along with Seokjin-ie hyung too," Jimin said with a giggle. "But there's this kind of...duality to her. She'd be joking around one minute, and if she thinks that someone close to her is uncomfortable, she becomes like a mama bear protecting her cubs."

"I see," Namjoon hummed at Jimin. "So do you think Seunghee-ssi will be safe with Y/N-ssi?"

Jimin nodded firmly. There was no doubt in his mind that Seunghee was going to be safe. Especially around you.

"She opened up to Y/N-ssi pretty quickly. She even had a conversation with her, even though it was the first time they met," Jimin said, thinking back to the events of the hospital.

"Really?" Namjoon's eyebrows raised at the new information.

"Y/N-ie? Did she come in already?" A new voice echoed through the unit. A human walked in while stretching. He was tall and had his shoulder-length hair tied in a low ponytail. 

"Jaebum-ie hyung, do you know Y/N-ssi?" Jimin asked, eyes full of curiosity.

"Pff, who doesn't know Y/N-ie in the station? Especially in this unit?" An Eagle Hybrid, who walked in right after Jaebum, asked snickering.

Jimin and Namjoon exchanged looks. They couldn't understand how you were, supposedly 'famous' in the station. Since they haven't heard your name in their nearly year-long employment with the Seoul Police Department.

"Jackson," Jaebum said with a roll of his eyes. "Of course, they wouldn't know about Y/N. She was in prison when they started working here."

"Wait, Y/N-ssi went to prison?!" Jimin asked, his voice raised slightly in shock.

"Yeah, she nearly beat a man to death about a year and a half ago," Jackson said with a laugh. "She was trying to protect a Hybrid from getting kidnapped. Eunwoo and Rocky had to physically peel her off of the poor bloke. Oh! Do you remember what she said in court?" Jackson asked Jaebum, chuckling at the memory.

Then he remembered what Hyojung said in the hospital. "Oh, so that's what she meant by 'short temper'," Jimin muttered to himself. Namjoon having heard Jimin's remarks and raised his eyebrow, curiosity growing.

"Don't remind me," Jaebum groaned.

"What happened?" Namjoon asked.

He was just as interested in the story. A human girl, who beat up a man who was trying to kidnap a Hybrid and went to jail was a story that was very rare. Normally humans would just continue on with their lives, looking the other way. But now, this human, that Jimin had made a connection to almost immediately, protected a Hybrid despite the risk of going to prison which ended up happening.

"The judge asked her if she regretted being unable to control her anger, and she said, and I quote, 'The only thing I regret is not being able to kill him. But I swear to god if that motherfucker tries to kidnap another Hybrid I'm going to escort him to hell myself'," Jackson recounted chuckling. "I need her to put that statement on a mug or a t-shirt. I'll wear it daily."

"After, I told her to keep her damned mouth shut, so that she could get a lighter sentence," Jaebum said shaking his head.

"You wanted her to get a lighter sentence?" Jimin asked, eyes wide with amusement. It wasn't every day when a detective wanted the assailant to receive a light sentence.

"Everyone in the unit wanted her to get a lighter sentence," Jaebum said with a smile. "Even Chief Bang."

"It's true. Seeing as how Y/N's out of prison now, she's going to come in a lot," Sihyuk said. Everyone turned to look at Sihyuk who was casually leaning against the doorframe of his private office. "Namjoon, Jimin, I need to speak to you in my office. It's about the Seunghee case."

"Yes, sir," Namjoon and Jimin both said as they stood up from their desks and walked towards Sihyuk's office.

"Oh, and Jaebum, make sure you tell Eunwoo and Felix that I need everyone in the office tomorrow," Sihyuk ordered.

"I don't know if Eunwoo or Rocky will be able to come in, sir. He mentioned that one of his mates was going through his rut," Jaebum informed.

"Let him know anyway. I just need at least one of them here. It's important that the entire team is present," Sihyuk said. Jaebum nodded. Sihyuk turned and walked back into his office followed by Jimin and Namjoon.

As soon as Jimin and Namjoon entered the room, Sihyuk closed the office door and sat at his desk. Jimin and Namjoon looked at Sihyuk, slightly nervous.

"Don't worry, it's nothing bad," Sihyuk slightly chuckled. "I was looking through some of the older cases and found something very interesting. Four years ago, a passerby found a body of a dead Hybrid near the location where Hyojung found Seunghee," Sihyuk explained as he handed over a manila file to Namjoon.

The Wolf Hybrid opened the file and began reading. Jimin looked over Namjoon's shoulder to look at the crime scene photos.

The victim was a young Calico Cat Hybrid. The male Hybrid was found with many injuries on his body. Similar to the injuries found on Seunghee, when she was picked up by the police.

"What happened with the case?" Jimin asked.

"Well, that's the thing," Sihyuk said, rather seriously. "I don't remember closing that case, but it was filed under closed cases."

Namjoon looked up with a frown. "Are you suggesting that there is someone in the station that's involved?"

Sihyuk shrugged as he reclined into his seat. "I think it's wise to keep your case close to the vest. I don't want to believe it either, but there might be a mole in the station."

"I understand," Namjoon said firmly.

"Look into that case too, secretly," Sihyuk said carefully. Jimin and Namjoon nodded firmly.

☆