Chapter 6 - SINA

Mac and Sina stared like animals caught in the headlights. Rule one: never get caught by an officer. Goresuch handled the situation for them. "No problems here, Sir. I was demonstrating my famous Cossack double death blow."

"When Ghengis Khan invades the US, we might call up on you as an instructor," Kimmig commented. "At ease, everyone," he reminded the group about the forgotten protocol. He stepped aside and presented a serious-looking guy in fatigues, heavily armed in full Army Ranger desert outfit. His face was hard, with piercing green eyes that radiated dominance.

"This is Major Bristol, Army Rangers. He and his team will take care of security."

"At ease, team," Bristol not only looked serious, he sounded it, too. Short and clipped and with a volume that filled the giant hall. "I know exactly as much as you do, zilch, zero. But when they call my team, it usually involves hair-raising stuff. So brace yourself for a missing hydrogen bomb, mad terrorists in a kindergarten, or a third world dictator abduction." No one was sure whether the Major meant it or was joking. "Most important advice when things go haywire: do not get shot by one of us!"

"How many men do you have, Major?" Mac asked. He still panted from the interrupted fight, and the right side of his face was scratched and dusty.

"We were asked to come prepared for the unknown. The transport distance had been given to me as around 100 miles. There are various layers of security and my team is responsible for the direct security of the transport. I command twenty men on the ground for the transport," Bristol explained. "Outer layers are handled by our friends from the Air Force with two Apache choppers and two Bell troop carriers for medium range control. Two Super-Hornet fighters take the extended range security in the air at all times."

"Fighter planes as backup?" Sina asked disbelievingly.

"What part of come prepared haven't you understood, Sergeant? Someone takes our mission pretty seriously," Bristol cocked his head at her. His eyes betrayed nothing.

"Two fighters should do it, thank you, Major!" Sina conceded, staring straight into the man's eyes. That would be the day, when a Ranger could stare her down.

"Glad we settled it," Bristol said.

Kimmig looked at his watch. "Our briefing is about to start. Washington, MacDonald, you're with us. Rest of the team, carry on your preps. Be ready for anything they throw our way." And with a glance at Bristol, "Hydrogen bomb or dictator."

The four soldiers started towards the side wall of the huge cave hangar, where a set of doors were set into the rock, perhaps leading to the left hangar.

"Isn't it peculiar that no one of us knows the mission?" Sina asked the men around her.

"My commanding officer didn't know either when he sent me here," Kimmig shrugged. "We're about to find out, I guess."

"Perhaps it is the last unicorn and we are supposed to bring it to the Albuquerque Zoo?" Mac muttered.

"Must be a big unicorn," Sina pointed back at the motorized football field behind them.

"A whole herd?" Mac shrugged.

"Shoot me now! Transport specialists and comedians," Bristol commented from behind.

They reached the steel doors. A red light shone over the frame and a camera stared at them from above. Kimmig saluted briefly.

A gray-haired man in civilian clothes opened, three-day beard, around seventy-five years old, thin, deep-lined face but extremely agile and intelligent eyes. "Ah, the gentlemen..." his eyes fell on Sina "... and the lady who are here to help us out."