Chapter 3

Shikamaru hadn't seen Sasuke since he took off after he heard the news about Naruto. Kiba had attempted to go after the raven, but Shikamaru stopped him, telling him to give him some space.

He knew the two had been fighting, but he wasn't sure what about or how serious it was. He figured Sasuke needed some space to clear his head and pull himself together.

That was a few hours ago though. It was now lunch time and Sasuke was nowhere to be found. Sighing, Shikamaru headed towards the one place he suspected the raven to be.

Pushing the door open, his heart sank a little at the sight. Sasuke was leaned up against the wall of the roof, hugging his knees to his chest, with his head down. He didn't even bother to look up to see who opened the door.

Shikamaru laid next to him and looked up at the clouds. "I'm sure he will pull through, it's Naruto after all" he tried to sound supportive.

Sasuke sniffled and lifted his head up, placing his chin on his hands. "I fucked up Shikamaru." His voice was barely audible. It was very quiet and hoarse sounding.

"I'm sure it's not-"

"I told him no one wanted to be friends with him. I said the only reason I was friends with him was because I thought he was pathetic and then I kicked him out of my house" Sasuke's voice was trembling as he looked at Shikamaru.

"I killed him Shikamaru. I killed Naruto" his voice broke and tears fell uncontrollably. He put his head back in his lap and continued to sob.

Shikamaru took a minute to hear what the Uchiha had told him. He had to admit that his words were cruel and he crossed a line, but he didn't kill Naruto.

"It was an accident Sasuke. It's not like you pushed him in front of the car"

"I might as well have! I kicked him out of my house after basically destroying his soul and now... now I might never be able to apologize to him.." Sasuke was still sniffling. The guilt was eating at him more now than it was last night.

"Look Sasuke. What you said was wrong, but that doesn't mean you killed him.. What did you guys argue about anyway?" He stared at the clouds still, not really expecting Sasuke to open up at all.

Sasuke hugged his knees tighter and took a deep breath, trying to get his tears under control. "I don't really remember. I was having a bad day and I just wanted some peace and quiet.. he kept rambling on about how he wanted to tell me something. I told him he could tell me later and he was insistent that I listened right then. I just snapped and yelled at him.."

Shikamaru didn't say anything else, but frowned at Sasuke's words. He knew the boys were closer to eachother than anyone else. He had a hunch on what the blond wanted to tell Sasuke, but it wasn't his place to say for sure. Then he heard the bell ring.

Shikamaru sat up and looked over at his depressed friend. "I'll bring your bag up here after next period. I'm sure the teachers know what's going on. If you leave and go home, text me to let me know so I can bring your work and everything there" He left the rooftop without expecting a response.

Sasuke found himself again, all alone on the roof. He picked his head up and wiped his face with his hands. His head was pounding and he could feel how tired his eyes became.

"Are you just going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself?"

Sasuke abruptly jumped to his feet and looked over. He rubbed his eyes and looked again in disbelief. There, with his feet dangling over the edge of the school building, was the blond sunshine himself.

"Naruto?" He whispered the name and took one step forward, before he felt his heart shatter again. If he was seeing Naruto's ghost.. that meant the blond didn't make it. He felt back to his knees and hugged himself and he felt the weight of the world on his shoulders again.

"Crying doesn't suite you, Teme"

Sasuke looked up and saw Naruto looking over at him. Naruto had that brilliant smile that Sasuke had always found comforting. It was a smile that shined brighter than the sun itself, even on the darkest days.

"Naruto.. I'm so sorry.. I know it's too late.. but I'm-"

"I'm not dead. Well, at least not yet." The blond looked back up to the sky as he swung his legs back and forth. He looked content.

"Then, how are you here?" Sasuke sniffled as he wiped his face with his hands again, staring at the blond.

"I guess I have some unresolved business. I can't go either way yet. I'm just kind of stuck in the middle." Naruto sighed.

"I don't understand what that means.. what happened?" Sasuke was trying to figure out what Naruto meant by unresolved business.

"I woke up, saw my body in front of me, spoke with some other stuck spirits, and here I am." He never looked at Sasuke as he explained what he experienced that morning. Sasuke couldn't help but take note of how at peace Naruto looked, even given the circumstances.

"Other spirits?"

Naruto nodded and glanced at the raven. "Yeah, there are other spirits here too with unresolved business."

"Then why can I only see you?" Sasuke looked at the blond and frowned.

"You're going to miss class Sasuke. The great Uchiha can't fall behind in class. It would ruin your reputation." Naruto gave a sad smile before disappearing with the wind.

"Naruto, wait!" Sasuke called out, but it was too late. Naruto was gone again. Sasuke didn't move as he sat staring at the spot his friend was just sitting at. 'Was this all just in my head?'

He flinched when he heard the rooftop door open again. This time it was Kiba. "Hey man, I just wanted to see if you were okay. Shikamaru said you were up here" he stood a few feet away from the Uchiha, awkwardly.

Sasuke wiped his face one more time and proceeded to stand up. He walked over towards Kiba and took a breath. "Yeah.."

Kiba looked at his friend with sorrow in his eyes. Sasuke was still paler than he usually was and his eyes were puffy from crying all morning. His voice was also still a bit hoarse. It was clear this situation with Naruto was hitting him hard.

"Wait, arn't you supposed to be in class?" Sasuke asked as he pulled out his phone to check the time.

"I snuck out to 'use the bathroom' but I'm sure Kakashi knew what I was actually doing. He was asking both of us how you were at lunch, when he didn't see you again."

Sasuke sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm doing about the best I can be right now"

"Well Shikamaru said he will drop off your stuff at your house later. Why don't you head home man? You look like you can use some rest" Kiba patted the raven's shoulder as he spoke with concern.

Normally Sasuke would swat his hand away as he doesn't like being touched, but he didn't have the energy. He didn't have the energy for anything. He didn't even want to go home at this point. He looked at Kiba and nodded in response.

Both of the boys headed towards the door to head back down the steps. Before Sasuke walked through the door, he turned back around and glanced at the edge of the building where Naruto had sat just moments ago.

He sighed and hung his head when he realized that it was just his imagination and the blond wasn't there anymore. He shut the door behind him and proceeded through the school, heading home for the day.